Feedback on Sierra Burgess Is a Loser | Teen Ink

Feedback on Sierra Burgess Is a Loser

By JadyC SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
JadyC SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Hannah Gillam from Austrailia reviewed the popular Netflix original film, Sierra Burgess Is a Loser. Gillam comments on how the movie had wonderful potential but contained themes that should not be romanticized. She remarks that the actors that starred were great, but the motion picture failed to display their talent. Instead, Netflix handed us a wrong and controversial romance. After watching the movie myself, I couldn't agree more. Gillam perfectly described all the thoughts that I had while watching Sierra Burgess Is a Loser. The movie was a cliche "ugly nerd falls in love with hot jock" story. Sierra, the main character, catfishes Jamey, her love interest. She tricks him many times, even to the point where she kisses him nonconsensually. Personally, I would not want younger children who idolize these actors to witness these themes and believe that it is alright to do it in pursuit of romance. In her review, Gillam says, "Although the themes of love and mistaken identity have been explored in films before, this teen movie exhibits behavior that shouldn't be romanticized for its young viewers." Sierra Burgess Is a Loser could have been a fantastic film, but the terrible morals of the characters did not allow me to enjoy the movie.