Change | Teen Ink

Change

By JadyC SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
JadyC SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“Change” by Sophia Sagar was incredibly heartwarming. In her memoir, Sagar recalls her encounter with a homeless woman in a Best Buy. She gives the young woman a hug and all the change in her wallet, and in turn,a the woman has since helped her become a more compassionate person. The piece was wonderfully written and it felt as though Sagar was telling me the story in an intimate conversation.

As someone who has lived in New York City her entire life, I have had many of my own encounters with the homeless. Some of them are really nice and friendly, some of them are mentally ill, and some of them don’t say anything. Whether they are on the streets of Manhattan or on the subway platform, they all could probably use an embrace and a bit of money. Sagar says, “For less than a dollar, my heart grew so much warmer. You changed me.” As the brisk winter season approaches, I will especially keep that quote in my head because I know that I have the opportunity to help the less fortunate and I should not ignore it. Thank you, Sophia Sagar, for sharing your story.