Feedback On | Teen Ink

Feedback On

December 10, 2018
By eugenehuang BRONZE, New York City, New York
eugenehuang BRONZE, New York City, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Colder Than the Snow” by Amenah Syed opens your eyes to how selfish we can be without realizing it. The memoir talks about a time in the past when a friend gave her gloves because she was cold, causing the friend to suffer from a fall. The gloves could have prevented the scrapes, causing her to bleed. Later on, she realizes what she has done and what her friend has done for her. She states, “Maybe I had been feeling cold… but towards Spurthi, I was colder than the snow.” I completely agree with the author’s message that we can hurt people without knowing and we should be grateful for those small sacrifices. Using this past experience of such a situation where you would never expect anyone to get hurt conveys this theme beautifully.

As a child, I have had many of these situations. I remember taking my mother’s coat when I was little because I didn’t listen to her when she said it was going to be cold out. Due to my mistake, I have caused her to be out in the cold. I feel like many people would find this piece relatable. Amenah Syed opens our eyes to what we do without knowing.