Feedback On | Teen Ink

Feedback On

By eugenehuang BRONZE, New York City, New York
eugenehuang BRONZE, New York City, New York

“Colder Than the Snow” by Amenah Syed opens your eyes to how selfish we can be without realizing it. The memoir talks about a time in the past when a friend gave her gloves because she was cold, causing the friend to suffer from a fall. The gloves could have prevented the scrapes, causing her to bleed. Later on, she realizes what she has done and what her friend has done for her. She states, “Maybe I had been feeling cold… but towards Spurthi, I was colder than the snow.” I completely agree with the author’s message that we can hurt people without knowing and we should be grateful for those small sacrifices. Using this past experience of such a situation where you would never expect anyone to get hurt conveys this theme beautifully.

As a child, I have had many of these situations. I remember taking my mother’s coat when I was little because I didn’t listen to her when she said it was going to be cold out. Due to my mistake, I have caused her to be out in the cold. I feel like many people would find this piece relatable. Amenah Syed opens our eyes to what we do without knowing.