Body Shaming: The Skinny Stance | Teen Ink

Body Shaming: The Skinny Stance

By Alonderz BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Alonderz BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

I found Nandini Kochar's article, "Body shaming: The skinny stance" extremely relatable and relevant to the society we live in today. The way she explained the standards women are supposed to look up to was extremely moving because people I know as well as myself have experienced low self-esteem and body shaming for not looking like the "in-vogue" standards society has placed on us. Everything she mentioned about our world being "lopsided" and "our self-worth [being] determined by our... body goals" is something the everyday women experiences as our bodies have become the immediate way people look down upon us. Nandini's response to the harmful effects that body shaming causes was very impacting in my opinion, since she opens up the eyes of people who do not realize the results of their harsh comments. Her road to self-love was also very inspiring as she oversees every expectation and just accepts herself for who she is; most women are overwhelmed with their insecurities and cannot obtain love for their body like Nandini has. I definitely agree with Nandini when she states that the moment we accept all our flaws "we instantly free ourselves from the malicious class of social stereotypes." The idealistic body women have been forced to admire is only effective if they truly believe in it but if they overlook it they are able to realize how unrealistic and unapproachable those standards are. I would like to congratulate Nandini for overcoming the horrid expectations in our present day and thank her for encouraging women to appreciate the beauty and uniqueness of their bodies.