Coming Out: Openly Gay | Teen Ink

Coming Out: Openly Gay

May 16, 2011
By Anonymous

I realized i was a homosexual in about the 6th grade. I decided to tell my parents while in the 9th grade even though they already knew. Coming out was easy for me because it was already suspected. All of my friends knew and half of my family, now they all know. Being an openly gay male growing up in mississippi is a very difficult thing to do. I had to deal with alot of criticism in my younger days, but as you get older, things become alot better. People start to become more mature and you don't get all of the harsh comments. It is alot easier these days simply because people are becoming more tolerant of homosexuals. I guess it is because they see now that we are not as much as a problem that they thought we would be. Coming out will be more easier for you if you come up with a plan. How well it goes also depends on the timing. Try to catch the person you want to tell when they're at their most happiest. After you have got the coming out part done, everything from then on becomes more easier. It also will become easier for you to come out to everyone else. Being a homosexual is not so bad after all, you find it quite easier than many people might convince you to believe.


The author's comments:
I was inspired by my own coming out session. I hope people can see that being a homosexual is not so bad after all.