Women's Rights? | Teen Ink

Women's Rights?

January 17, 2013
By Soccerfiend123456 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Soccerfiend123456 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As a country, we’ve gone from shipping off our daughters at a young age to wealthy men, to degrading our women and casting them off to forever do “House duties”. We’ve given women permanent labels of the slaves of the house, nothing more. Back then women were nothing.

But that was then and this is now. Now we live in a world where everyone is supposed to be treated equally. But women are not yet treated the same.

In the U.S. women are supposed to be given equal opportunity. There are rallies for women rights, women politicians, women sports players and even scholarships just for being a woman. It would seem like women are equal in the U.S. but many people don’t know that 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. That’s 5 out of 30 of your classmates, mentally and physically scarred. People are raped all over the world, but in the U.S. only in 25% of the cases arrests were made. Isn’t that just disgusting?

Valerie Neumann, a rape victim, spoke to Maggie Rodriguez of CBS News. After being raped by a stranger she went to the police, they did not arrest the culprit. Either know she had evidence of being raped, they did not go through with the case because she had too much to drink. Valerie says “The legal system is corrupt, no justice was given after the incident”. The rapist was never charged, and Valerie was never given closure for the incident.

Women deserve to be treated right, like a human should be. Rape is W-R-O-N-G, nothing more to it. The legal system is unstable, and constantly overlook situations like these. This needs to change. I am a 14 year old boy, who has aspirations of someday having a daughter. I don’t want her growing up in a world where she is not safe. And if she [God forbid] someday gets into a situation like that, I would want her to have justice.

Wouldn’t you want the same for yours?