We Should Be Legal | Teen Ink

We Should Be Legal

November 29, 2013
By Anonymous

Okay, so my personal point of view on gay, bi, and lesbian relationships is this: let them be together!!! As a member of the gay community, I personally think that I should be able to marry the woman of my dreams. Gay marriage is actually good for the economy. It brings more money into states and cities that have gay marriage legalized because more people are getting married.

Also, there are lower divorce rates. On November 18, 2003, Massachusetts legalized gay marriage. In 2008, they had the lowest divorce rate in the entire country. It also lowers orphanage/homeless children rates because gay couples cannot procreate, causing higher adoption rates.

In 2010, a 3 judge panel of the 9th Circuit of Appeals ruled 2-1 that a lower court judge correctly interpreted the U.S constitutions and Supreme Courts precedent when he declared that Preposition 8 (a response to an earlier state of the courts decision to legalized gay marriage) was a violation of the civil rights of gays and lesbians. This means that it is against the First Amendment in the Constitution (and our natural born rights) to ban same-sex marriage because in the Constitution, it states that we have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. By banning gay marriage, they are taking away our right to the pursuit of happiness. We should be able to be happy with who ever we want, but we are not.

n a marriage there is one thing that truly matters: love. Yes, other things are important too, but not one couple would make it to even asking someone to marry them if there was not some love. Las Vegas, Nevada is also known for being the place where many weddings occur which are annulled within one week. These marriages are not based off love, but simply a drunken night in Vegas. High divorce rates weaken what a marriage is defined as. Why are we not able to rewrite what a marriage stands for and make it include a homosexual marriage? The definition of love, according to dictionary.com is as follows: “Very strong affection: an intense feeling of tender affection and compassion.” If gay people feel this way then why shouldn't they be able to be married? If they are happy with each other, said persons should be able to marry. ( I take no credit for the previous paragraph)

According to professerhouse.com, the following states not only ban gay marriage, but also ban civil relationships: Alaska, Alabama, Nevada, Montana, Kansas, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas.


The author's comments:
What inspired me to write this article is I myself am a lesbian, and I think I should be able to marry whoever I want