Looking at You in a Different Light | Teen Ink

Looking at You in a Different Light

By Kala Young BRONZE, Washington, District Of Columbia
Kala Young BRONZE, Washington, District Of Columbia

I was born and raised around uncle Joe and uncle Nathan. I knew them so well or at least I thought I did.

Let me tell you one thing about me. I’m nosy. Full blown, no shame nosy. Okay back to the story.

It started on Christmas to years ago.We were at the place that I've been to more times than I could count so you would have thought I’d notice something by now. This time was different. I don’t know if I was getting older or if something just clicked but something was different. I noticed something I didn't notice before.

There was one room. I knew something was up and if I was any normal eleven year old I would have just ignored it but that burning curiosity got the hold of me. I wanted to know why. So I went to the one person who would help me. Andrea, my sister. You would have thought (Andrea being only one year older than me at the time) that I should have picked someone else. But my sister was sneaky. More sneaky than any normal twelve year old.

On That day two years ago I found out my uncle Nathan and uncle Joe was gay.

I know and understand some people, especially religious people, believe that only men and women should be connected in that way. I also understand why some people would want gays to “be in the closet” because they feel uncomfortable talking about it. But what about the gay people? How would they feel? Even though some people deny it, gay discrimination is a problem in society. One thing that will make this problem better is talking about it. Gays should be more comfortable talking about their sexuality. Why? It’s who they are and they shouldn't be afraid. People will accept them and it will inspire other gay people to do it too.

It may just be my opinion but one reason Gays should be more comfortable talking about their sexuality is because It’s who they are so they shouldn't be afraid. Only you affect what you do or how you think about yourself. For example, when I observe uncle Nathan and uncle Joe when we go out sometimes, they seem very comfortable in their lifestyles. When we go out in public, they don’t seem affected by this imperative issue over their heads that people are discriminated against. This illuminates that there is a chance that there is a possibility that you can be comfortable with your sexuality and not be afraid of it.

If people care about you they will accept you in any shape or form. They will know that you are still you and will love you for that. For example, when I found out that uncle Nathan and uncle Joe (uncle Joe is uncle Nathan’s boyfriend) were gay I was shocked that he didn't tell me. I was more mature than he thought I was. Then I realized I didn't even address the real problem. Did this change the way I felt about him?

No, it didn't. he was still my uncle, who when sung, sounded like a rusted pipe. I loved my uncle and this wasn't going to change that.

Doing this won’t just affect you, it will also inspire other kids to do the same thing you did. For example, one time when I was in school we talked about family members who died in our lives. I was very uncomfortable talking about this because it was too personal. Then I saw one of my classmates share and how everyone supported her. They understood how hard it was for her to share something personal. It was kind of like a “if I could do it, you could do it” moment because one second later my hand is up sharing a time when my aunt died.This connects because if they see others like them happy and comfortable talking about themselves then they want feel that way too.They want to experience the affect of being who they are themselves.

I know some of you guys are saying gays should” stay in the closet” but here's what I have to say to that. One. How does being gay affect you? And two. What right do you have to change someone? Here is a solution to the problem. I’m not asking you to change your opinion, I’m asking you to respect someone being who they are and not try to change them.

In Conclusion, I hope reading this you will come to respect gays and if you are gay, come to accept yourself. Be more comfortable talking about it. If you are then I have done my job.

I sat in the same place and thought for what seemed like forever and then all of a sudden my uncles face popped up in my mind. At that moment I knew I needed to get this down on paper.