Why I'm Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Why I'm Proud to be an American

By m_kopecky5 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
m_kopecky5 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

“I do not wish [women] to have power over men; but over themselves, ” Mary Wollstonecraft said. She was a women’s rights activist in the 1700’s and was a proud woman.
The amount of opportunities that woman in America have is significantly greater than in other countries. These rights have been built upon, creating what we have today: freedom. I, as a free American woman, have just as many rights as any man, and that is what makes me proud.
To me, nothing is worse than being told I can’t do something I have an undying passion for. In America, if you want to work; you can work. If you want to go to college; you can go to college. And if you don’t want to have children, you don’t have to. It is all up to me, as a proud, strong, and independent American woman.
In some farming areas, women are forced to bear children, this is so the kids can work for the family. China, on the other hand, does the opposite. If you want eight children, you can’t have that, you are limited to one child. In America, I am free to have as many or as few children as I want.
Much like my ability to have children, I can go to college. In Cambodia, women don’t get much schooling. They grow up working and doing chores and then they get married and stay home to raise their children. They have no option. But in America, I get to choose if I want to go to college to further my education.
I am so proud I am an American woman and I have the rights I do. I can further my education, get a job I enjoy, and have a family--all without being limited. I can only be stopped if I limit myself.
I have the ability to do everything a man can do, but I also have the ability to push myself to achieve greatness. All of this is possible because I am an American woman, and I will be forever proud.