What the American Flag Means to Me | Teen Ink

What the American Flag Means to Me

November 5, 2015
By Laurengm GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Laurengm GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The American flag is more than a piece of fabric. This flag means freedom, honor, and bravery. And red, white, and blue mean more than colors. Those three colors stand for freedom, making me proud to be a part of a strong and powerful country.

Every time I see the American flag, I think of soldiers fighting for our freedom. I think of young men, some my age, shoved into war. I think of the thousands of men who sacrificed their lives for our country.

From World War I and World War II, to the Civil War, America has lost thousands of men determined to fight for America’s freedom. These men are reasons why our flag represents freedom, honor, and bravery.

The colors red, white, and blue remind me of our freedoms. Red shows the strength and power of our country, while white shows the purity of our country. Blue shows the loyalty of our country. These 3 significant colors together are recognized around the world for being known as the colors on the American flag.

Not only soldiers, but also citizens show  honor and bravery. When 9/11 occurred, firefighters and civilians rushed to help others. By risking their lives to help others, they were able to show bravery, strength, and courage.

The citizens of this country risk their lives in order for the American flag to stand proud. This shows that the flag is not only a piece of fabric, but means freedom, honor, and bravery.