Amurica | Teen Ink

Amurica

By Chuckie.Johnson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Chuckie.Johnson GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Rippling like thunder across the sky on misty morning, luminary stars and fillet stripes, screaming as if Uncle Sam were beside me. I wonder if George Washington knew how much America could grow when he and his co-conspirators rebelled against the British power.

“Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness.” - George Washington

Americans don’t always consciously think about what the United States flag’s stars and stripes mean. But truth be told, there is not one correct answer to what it means. For the reason that there is no single correct solution, whether you believe it’s pride, strength, or freedom none are wrong.

“Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write.”- John Adams

As Americans, we strive for prosperity, as if an emblem of valor was put unto us, made up of stars and stripes. As a nation we have fought the good fight, billowing the Grand Union. As we forget the troubles of our pasts and renew for the bright future we ponder true freedom.

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”- Thomas Jefferson

We have all experienced tragedy: the Twin Towers, the loss of loved ones, the sorrows of war. However, we try to mask tragedy with symbols of hope and bravery. Soaring through all our minds the flag is but text from a textbook, that book  entitled “America ”.

“Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government.”- James Madison

hoooooooot topiiiiiiiiics