Rescue the Right Dogs | Teen Ink

Rescue the Right Dogs

By skylarb BRONZE, South Burlington, Vermont
skylarb BRONZE, South Burlington, Vermont

All my life, my family has adopted pets from a shelter or a rescue agency, and we have always had positive experiences. The two dogs we adopted have become excellent members of our family. More people than not love dogs and admire them for the happiness they bring. However, there is an overpopulation of animals in shelters, and because of this it is important to adopt dogs without a home rather than purebreds. Many people do not realize that this is an issue. Adopting a homeless pet is a great way to help your community. Not only does it help an animal in need, but it provides an experience to cherish and the ability to form a one-of-a-kind relationship with a rescued pet.

Five years ago, my family  adopted a dog named Dunkin, who was almost a year old and had been through tragic care in multiple foster homes. When we first adopted him he was timid, skittish, and overly protective of my family and me. This all changed fairly quickly when he finally realized that our house was his home, not a foster home. Fast forward five years - and it is amazing to see the change and growth in Dunkin. He has become a friendly, humorous, and over- all extraordinary dog.

Often times people fear adopting rescue dogs because they think the dogs will have untreatable issues. More times than not, this is false. When we first adopted Dunkin, he was terrified of being left alone. He was constantly locked in dark rooms as a puppy and this lead to his abandonment issues. For this reason, he was always with one member of the family. This gave us the opportunity to form our own relationship with him. My bond was strengthened with him because he was often by my side and he slept in my room at night. Over time, this not only formed a stronger bond between each person in the family and Dunkin, but it also brought the family together. We would go on hikes and walks together as a family often. He was a great influence in bringing us all together. Although rescue dogs have their quirks, they bring more to your life than you would assume.

Experiences shape who we are. They offer new perspectives, lessons, and memories. For this reason, they are the most important part of us. They differentiate us from everyone else and influence our personality greatly. This is how my rescue dog has formed an abundance of personality and character.

Dunkin is incredibly free spirited and affectionate. Whenever someone arrives home, he greets them in an excitatory manner. He jumps up to get in their face and licks them; then he runs through all parts of the house and barks to announce their arrival. You can’t help but laugh at his humorous greeting. He has had many experiences in his life, both good and bad. The low points in life make us appreciate high points more than before. Dunkin acknowledges his loving home more than a dog who has never experienced tragedy like he has. He understands love and friendship on a deeper level than most dogs. This realization makes a great change in a dog’s personality.

Dunkin has become very special to my family, even more so than we anticipated. He has formed a one of a kind bond with each of us. When we first adopted him, we did not expect him to become such an important member of our family. His humorous and benevolent personality brought us closer to him. From his experiences, he is more loyal, grateful, and warmhearted. He knows that we changed his life for the better and that is what sparked the strong bond between my family and our dog. Dunkin has changed my life by becoming my best friend. There is never a time he is not there for me. When I have a rough day he is always there when I come home. He is with me through the ups and downs of my life. His adherence is like no other.  It is a life changing experience for both the animals and their owners. Adopting a homeless dog creates a stronger relationship because they are more ardent and appreciative.

There are an abundant amount of homeless dogs. Many shelters in the country are kill shelters, meaning each animal has a certain amount of time for possible adoption before they are put down. They simply don’t have enough space for so many animals. So, in many cases you would literally be saving a life. It doesn’t cross people’s mind as an important issue as often as it should. Animals are often neglected from support of the community. It is a great feeling when you adopt and help a new pet. This also encourages other people to adopt, therefore promoting a good cause to attend to.

Another factor of adopting from a shelter is that it’s more affordable than adopting a dog from a breeder. Many times animals from a shelter are by donation, whereas particular bred dogs can cost thousands of dollars. Rescue dogs are far more superior economically. A dog from a breeder can cost around $2,000, whereas a dog from the shelter can cost around $200.

People often want to buy a dog from a breeder because they think a purebred is more admirable to a mixed breed. People buy from breeders to complete their image and desire for the “perfect dog”. The look of a dog does not make it special. Normally, rescued dog are of many breeds, but this actually makes each animal unique and unlike any other. So, spending money in hope to find the “perfect dog” is pointless because it is not the breed that makes them extraordinary.

A rescue dog has many special attributes that you cannot experience with a dog from a breeder. You will not regret welcoming a rescue dog into your family because of the one-of-a-kind bond you form. Their tragedies reveal a deeper side of them. It is an experience you will cherish forever. A rescue dog is has the ability to change your life, just like you can change theirs.