What Will You Leave Behind? | Teen Ink

What Will You Leave Behind?

How did  our era become a time when  a child is judged based on his or her parents’ income? Children are essentially images of their parents’  or guardians’ wealth and live every day with that reality. It’s an unfair and unjust way that kids use to  divide themselves socially. Unfortunately, this is seemingly unavoidable. What caused this social discrimination? Was it parents who started dressing their kids in their wealth or the emerging competitiveness that grows in kids each generation? In any case, there needs to be an end to this kind of judging. An end to the idea that money means worth.

Some may argue if people work hard for their wealth, they should have the right to flaunt it  in any way they want, including the way they raise their children. I think that money is a sensitive topic for most American families and that flaunting it does more harm than good. In my opinion, I think pay is not distributed equitably among jobs. Kylie Jenner, for example, is 18 years old and lives in a three million dollar home. For what reason was she able to obtain this substantial amount of money? Because she is a celebrity. Of course she earned this money, but how many people did she impact or influence on her journey? Celebrities get paid millions while teachers who nurture our future get paid humble salaries. Our country’s focus about what matters most is discombobulated. It is clear that we value entertainment more than we value education because the jobs in entertainment are paid significantly higher wages. For this reason money certainly doesn’t decide worth. Salaries are decided by the government, and the government is controlled by the people. We the people need to lead this change.

On another note, the income of your guardians doesn’t necessarily reflect who you will become. Money certainly can give you more opportunities like a better education, but only if you utilize those resources. Your father may be a CEO of a large company, but what will you be? The child who lives at home until you're 50 because you lack ambition to go out into the world? I’m asking a lot of questions, but I want you to really think about it. How successful, or not, your parents are reflects on them not you. I am going to share a little bit about my experiences with this issue in order to help you reflect on the purpose of this writing. 

No one would ever really be able to estimate the income of my parents. They’re straight up minimalists. We live humbly with the necessities. Recently my father and I were having a discussion about his car. It was brought up because I was feeling guilty about the new car they bought me for my 16th birthday. I told my dad I felt bad I was driving a new car while he drives an old van. He looks at me and says, “I love that car and even with trillions of dollars I would still be driving that car.” A few moments passed and he looked back at me and asked, “Does it bother you that I drive that car? If it truly does I will buy a new one.” I stared at him and contemplated what he had just said for a while. What type of person would I be if I said that him driving an old vehicle made me feel embarrassed? It made me feel sick to think that I was only concerned about what others would think when they see my dad driving that car. Is it me who doesn't like the car or is it the thought of other people judging my family based on the vehicle my dad drives that turns me off? I would have to say that it’s mostly a social impact that made me a little embarrassed. My dad comes back into the room and tells me, “Liv I don’t care about vehicles, what would driving a Porsche show about me? My wealth? Is that what it is all about now? So many people are suffering and are poor. In my opinion it isn’t even an option to  think about buying a new car when others can’t even afford food.” My dad goes on and later states that Saint Francis of Assisi is his hero… the man who looked out for the Earth.

What I am attempting to show through this excerpt is that kids stress out too much over what other people think, mostly in the sense of the materialistic things. You will play big in the game of life by living and leading your life with gratitude, respect, and responsibility. Your character is what you leave behind. People won’t remember what you did, but they will remember how you made them feel.  From second grade on kids are flocked into friend groups with people who have similar lifestyles as them. From there kids tend to stick in those safety zones and don’t take any chances to step-out. Using appearance as the first step to develop an opinion of a person you miss out on a lot. As I reached high-school I realized that the group I was sort of flocked into wasn’t where I wanted to stay. I discovered that by being in that group I was closing a door on many opportunities to make connections with other amazing people. In 9th grade I really took a leap out. I am forever grateful for taking that leap. I have made amazing connections with amazing people and found my true best friend. Without stepping out I would have never met someone who was more similar to me then my best friend is. He has surely impacted my life for the better and contains a character so similar to mine it seems unreal. We have been in the same school system since 6th grade and it took six years to make this connection. Step outside of your comfort zone and your life will change. Money can disappear in an instant, but your character is something that will forever belong to you.