Christianity's View on Homosexuality | Teen Ink

Christianity's View on Homosexuality

February 19, 2016
By AnitaF-J BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey
AnitaF-J BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Growing up in a Gay, Jewish family, in a very progressive town, my community has rarely been introduced to the worldwide hatred towards gays, which leads many people to believe that there is none. But that is not the case!


Homophobia,and oppression of the LGBT community takes place everywhere, dating back to the late 1800’s, according to PBS.org. Many Christian groups claim that homosexuality is a choice, and have gone as far to say that same sex couples are “an abomination” on the human race, and have been known to stereotype them.
According to several Evangelical groups, the Bible opposes homosexuals and their actions.


“Love thy neighbor as thyself,” the Bible also clearly states. Yet, that part is forgotten in the effort to take away gay rights, and gay marriage. “ Be completely humble and gentle? be patient, bearing with one another in love,” the Bible also pronounces. Overall the Bible teaches love and acceptance. Therefore by harassing people of the gay community, they are the ones “making the choice” to “sin”? they are the ones who are directly violating the Bible's teachings.


“Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman? that is detestable” (Leviticus 18:21­22), the Bible does state. But the Bible also endorses slavery, and prohibits drinking, swearing, and pre­marital sex. Clearly, these churches pick and choose which parts of the Bible they want to follow/enforce. The Bible has many great teachings, but it also is a very outdated book that has many parts that people no longer follow literally today because of the advancement of society.


To clarify, There are some Christian Denominations who are not opposed to Gay rights and the LGBT community, such as certain sectors of the Episcopal church, though not all. A number of liberal churches support gay rights, and welcome Homosexuals and their community, though there are not many Churches worldwide who can say that. A large percentage of the South African Episcopal community are very against gay rights, and there is a huge split in the European Episcopal community over policy concerning gays.


In conclusion, the Bible does make pronouncements against homosexuals, but it also makes many demands on people that are no longer followed today, like the way to treat your slaves, and how a wife should submit to their husband as they do the lord. Homosexuality is just one of the things that society has to get used to,
because it is not right to pick and choose the commands that you follow and don’t follow. The Bible teaches love, not hate. Spreading hate is a sin that is a choice, and that is a sin that should be punished.


Works Cited
"Hating Gays:An Overview of Scientific Studies." PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 16 Feb.
2016.
"Should Gay People Get Married?" Should Gay People Get Married? N.p., n.d. Web.
16 Feb. 2016.
"30 Bible Verses About Love ­ Encouraging Scripture Quotes." Bible Study Tools.
N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Feb. 2016.
"36 Bible Verses about Disobedient Wives." What Does the Bible Say About
Disobedient Wives? N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Feb. 2016.
"Why Are Christians against Gays?" Yahoo! Answers. Yahoo!, n.d. Web. 16 Feb.
2016.


The author's comments:

Hi, my name is Anita And I recently wrote an essay about Christianities views on homosexuality. Growing up in a family with two dads this essay really hits close to home, and I'd really love to share it with many people. In this article I talk about how the bible and many Christian groups feel about homosexuals, and how they feel about gay marriage. It would mean the world to me if you'd consider posting my essay, and I do believe it would catch the eye of many of your readers!