Stereotypes | Teen Ink

Stereotypes

Prejudiced and hurtful as they may be, everyone stereotypes. Some people believe that they do not hold others to a certain standard regarding their race, gender, age, or sexuality, but it is not something that can be controlled. It is embedded in the human brain and has been around for years upon years. However, recognizing why and how stereotyping is done, can reduce or diminish the act as a whole and potentially bring people closer together.

Our brains are built to create mental shortcuts by categorizing information. By doing so, we retain knowledge with minimal effort, and our required sense of structure is satisfied in an otherwise chaotic world (Jacobs). Stereotypes frequently stem from a “kernel of truth” in order to create the assumption. This assumption gradually becomes accepted as accurate regarding a group of people. Other times, however, they can appear out of nowhere (Jacobs). Personal experiences have a huge influence on one’s perception of a particular group. Learned behavior is also a key formation of stereotypes such as parental influence and the media (“Explain the Formation of Stereotypes and their Effect on Behavior”).

New research from Scotland provides evidence of the stereotyping process in an experiment that involves fictional creatures, space aliens to be specific. The space aliens in this experiment were given a random selection of traits. It did not take long for stereotypes to be formed about these creatures (Jacobs). Each alien contained three dimensions: shape, color, and movement. The combinations resulted in the creation of 27 distinct aliens. Each alien was given a random set of attributes (Jacobs). Undergraduates from the University of Aberdeen were the volunteers for this experiment. The students passed down information about the aliens from one group to the next through a series of chains (Jacobs).

During a training period, the first participants were exposed to thirteen of the twenty-seven aliens and tried to memorize their associated personality traits. During the testing period, the students were shown all twenty-seven aliens, both the thirteen they had been acquainted with during the training phase and the fourteen remaining ones, and were expected to pinpoint which traits belonged to each group of aliens (Jacobs). The characteristics that the initial participants selected were used for the next participants in the chain to use for training purposes. Those students then repeated the process. This method was used through seven generations. This resulted in something similar to a telephone game in which the information was not accurately delivered (Jacobs).Towards the end of the experiment, certain aliens became associated with certain characteristics. For example, blue aliens were primarily sensible and successful and green aliens were vulgar. There is no rhyme or reason for the aliens’ given traits but the students overestimated the similarity of aliens within the same category (Jacobs). These estimations collectively led to the evolution of a categorical structure. Certain aliens contained specific characteristics. This occurred unintentionally but it represents how the human mind works (Jacobs).

Furthermore, once a stereotype is publicized, it is difficult to dismiss it. Similar to how rumors work, when information is passed down from person to person, the initial message can become lost in translation. Stereotypes may form unintentionally this way (Jacobs).

It is important to acknowledge the influence stereotypes have on people. Stereotypes are cognitive shortcuts and can be useful summaries when data is missing. For example, if a person knew nothing about someone other than the fact that he or she was a teenager, ideas of rebellion, promiscuity, misconduct, and temperamental behavior may be activated (Darling). Another example is if the word ‘professor’ is said, one would more likely picture a tweed jacketed man with glasses than a woman with blue hair and multiple tattoos, even though professors fit both of these descriptions (Darling). Research suggests that when a certain individual is atypical of the accepted stereotype, the contrast of his or her traits makes people think they are simply more different from the stereotype. Inconsistent behavior associated with the stereotypes may be overlooked and will not minimize the power of said stereotype. People tend to disregard non-stereotypical behaviors (“Stereotypes”). Actions that strongly contrast with stereotypes may ignite a strong impression because it is unexpected (Darling).Thus, if an old man is stereotyped as being kind and gentle, any act of vulgar behavior from him will often be ignored (“Stereotypes”). In certain instances, stereotyping one group can push another group closer together, like women stereotyping men and viewing them as eccentric. This also occurs with ethnic groups and may cause a rift or a barrier between them (“Stereotypes”).

Additionally, stereotypes are ubiquitous and are quite noticeable if one is aware of them. Advertising content is guilty of displaying stereotyped representations. (Darling). Googling the word ‘student’ will result in a page full of similar content. One would typically see a well-groomed Caucasian with glasses carrying a stack of books. The same goes for the words ‘criminal’ and ‘delinquent’ or ‘homeless’. Advertisers do this in an attempt to quickly evoke emotions by revealing images that will initiate related ideas and allow people to imagine the ones they are trying to demonstrate (Darling).

Again, an act of empowerment is being able to realize that categorizing people is going to influence one’s judgment and reactions towards a certain person or group of people until a more concrete conclusion is reached. This will allow the mind to practice conscious control of cognition and gain self understanding (Darling).

To demonstrate how people perceive stereotypes, a survey was conducted using ninety-five participants with ages ranging from eighteen to twenty-five. The participants were of different ethnic backgrounds, came from different neighborhoods, and all had at least one close friend outside their race (“Stereotypes Survey Statistics at Survelum Public Data Bank”). An interesting question that was asked during the survey is as follows: “Imagine it is 2 AM, and you are walking by yourself down a poorly lit street. Four different men passed by at four different times. All four men are the same height and weight. Which man would you feel the most threatened by?” Fifteen percent of the participants selected the African American man, five percent selected the Caucasian man, eight percent chose the Asian man, six percent chose the Hispanic man, nine percent chose none of the above, one percent did not know, and forty-three percent did not answer the question. The results were close, but the majority of the participants who answered, chose the African American man, which feeds into the stereotype that African American men are violent (“Stereotypes Survey Statistics at Survelum Public Data Bank”).

In addition to being unfair and in most cases, unjustified, stereotypes can also affect behavior and the ability to learn. Negative stereotypes can inhibit a person’s learning ability as well as jeopardize how members of stigmatized groups perform on exams and other acts based on skill (“Negative Stereotypes Shown to Affect Learning, Not Just Performance”). If a relatively simple principle of math is not taught to a girl because she is experiencing stereotype threat, her skills in the future may be limited. This can ultimately inhibit efforts to guide women into math and science careers, which are currently male dominant (“Negative Stereotypes Shown to Affect Learning, Not Just Performance”

In the light of the above information, it is easy to conclude that stereotypes are powerful and have an immense ability to affect how an individual or a particular group behaves. Stereotype threat occurs when a person fears being discriminated against or judged by the reputation of his or her stereotype (“Explain the Formation of Stereotypes and their Effect on Behavior”). Stereotype threat has the potential to create what is called spotlight anxiety. When an individual is afraid of doing something that confirms that he or she belongs to a certain stereotypical group he or she is experiencing spotlight anxiety (“The Formation of Stereotypes”).
An experiment to evaluate stereotype threat was conducted involving a 30 minute verbal test made up of complex multiple choice questions. Participants were of African and European descent. Each group was given a different reason for taking the exam (“The Formation of Stereotypes”). The first group was told that the test was a “genuine test on verbal abilities.” The second group was told that it was a “laboratory task that was used to study how certain problems are generally solved.” (“The Formation of Stereotypes”). The results showed that European Americans scored notably higher than African Americans in the first group. In the second group, however, African Americans scored equally as well as European Americans. From these results, it can be concluded that if a person believes in his or her stereotype, performance can and will be harmed (“The Formation of Stereotypes”).

Even with disproving evidence, stereotypes are not often changed. People regularly adhere to their clearly wrong beliefs. When stereotypes are changed, they are done so in one of three ways (“Stereotypes”). One way in which stereotypes are processed is through the bookkeeping model. Once new information is acquired that contradicts an accepted stereotype, the brain modifies it to still remain part of that stereotype. It takes a substantial amount of information for each change to occur. Evidence is absorbed individually as the exception that confirms the rule (“Stereotypes”). The conversion model is another way in which stereotypes are processed. The conversion model offers an entirely new outlook. With overwhelming disproving evidence, the old stereotype is thrown away and a new one forms (“Stereotypes”). Lastly, there is the sub typing model. The sub typing model involves creating a sub-classification of an existing stereotype. For example, if there is a stereotype of Americans, a trip to New York may result in a sub-type declaring that New Yorkers are different (“Stereotypes”). 

If an impact really is to be made, people should be consistently different from their stereotype. Self awareness of stereotyping is crucial to assure that groups or individuals are held to the true nature of their personalities, not solely to their stereotypes (“Stereotypes”). If people stand united, stereotyping will be well on its way to extinction. When the discovery is made that people do not always fit the criteria of a certain stereotype, it will lead to improved thoughts about that group (“Stereotypes”).

The younger generation has a more open-minded sense of identity. The spectrum of separation is slowly but surely beginning to fade due to decades of interracial relationships, biracial children, and multiracial families (“Breaking Down Stereotypes”). According to designer August de Los Reyes, today’s society is also more accepting of ambiguity. People do not have to be labeled and placed into a box. People can have the freedom to explore their interests and who they want to be in life. People can enjoy finding and accepting themselves, no matter who that person may be (“Breaking Down Stereotypes”).

Imagine how future, or even current, generations would differ if people had a more accepting attitude. The breakdown of stereotypes will help to continue to change society's views about identity (“Breaking Down Stereotypes”). A girl can be both a prom queen and an intelligent science scholar. A young man can be both an athlete and a trumpet player in the school band. It gives students hope that they can be themselves, be more comfortable in their own skin (“Breaking Down Stereotypes”).

As a scientific definition, the term “stereotype” is inaccurate, because it is utterly subjective. If a person agrees with another person’s perception, then that perception is not a stereotype (Jussim). Alternatively, if an individual disagrees with someone’s perception, then that exact same perception is a stereotype. Scientifically speaking, it is not possible for something to be both a stereotype yet not one (Jussim).
Once an individual is categorized as a member of a social group, others will often perceive or expect other members of the group to all be alike, which they never are. Are all Asians bad drivers? Are all blondes dumb? (Jussim) According to scientists, these are empirical questions, meaning they can be answered by conducting data. Psychologists have been studying stereotypes for approximately one hundred years and there has not been a single empirical study that has identified an individual who holds true to the form “All of them are ________” and it does not matter who “they” are or “what” they resemble (Jussim).

Consequently, many scientific outlooks on stereotypes are exaggerated, inaccurate, and unyielding to change even when presented with disconfirming evidence (Jussim). It is hard for a young lady or gentleman to be placed into a category that they do not see themselves in or relate to. It is a lot of added pressure to constantly have to prove one’s disconnection from a stereotype. No one should have to do it and no one wants to. As a whole, America has come a long way but stereotypes still remain relatively prevalent. Stereotypes are mostly unfair, unjust, and unnecessary. With self awareness and an open mind, stereotypes can be a thing of the past.