If You Have a Why, Find a How | Teen Ink

If You Have a Why, Find a How

By chaelinj BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona
chaelinj BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona

Civil war, bloody conflict, refugee crises, sexual assault. Human trafficking, crippling poverty, global terrorism, school shootings. Every day, we are inescapably inundated with news of heartbreak, suffering, and despair. But in the face of such sorrow and desperation, we feel helpless.

For me, it is global refugee crises.

Every day, I would read about the 25 million people around the world fleeing the most gruesome of conflicts, the most abject of poverty, and the most oppressive of regimes. But what am I – a teenage girl living in the suburbs of Arizona, hundreds of miles away from the nearest refugee crisis – going to do about it?

Eventually, I got involved with a local non-profit organization called Gathering Humanity that provides relief to refugees by setting up apartments with donated furniture, homeware, and other supplies for refugee families arriving to my state. The intention is to not only alleviate the overwhelming financial burden that refugees face, but to express as a community: “Welcome to America: we’re glad you here.”

Within a few months with this organization, I realized how important these local, grassroots organizations and movements are. Because it’s easy to think that change happens from the top down – that governmental institutions, corporations, the United Nations, and public policy must act before we are able to. But it’s almost always the other way around. Because if we as individuals can’t be bothered to act on issues that are important to us, how can we expect those who are higher up to either?

Here are five lessons I’ve learned on how to start local and get involved:

(1)  Don’t wait for opportunity to knock.  

I had to email a handful of other organizations and individuals before I found the one that I eventually got involved in. Opportunities don’t always fall into your lap. Do your research, contact people in the topic area or field, and hunt after opportunity.

Ø  Start simple: Google “[topic of interest] organizations in [your city / state]” or [topic of interest] advocacy groups in [your city/state]”

Ø  Consider using sites like createthegood or volunteermatch to narrow down your searches

(2)  Figure out what skills or talents you have that can be beneficial to the organization.

Have over 1,000 Instagram followers? Know how to make people swipe up on Snapchat to talk to you about different topics? You could help manage social media or public relations. Know how to code and design websites? Ask to help develop their website. Or maybe you just have a lot of time on your hands. Organizations love flexible and versatile people.

(3)  Cold emails and calls will take you far.

Don’t be afraid to cold email an organization or individual to ask how to get involved. Be professional, but don’t be afraid to express your passion for the topic.

Ø  Make sure to give them details like your age, location, and available times and highlight your skills / talents.

(4)  Mobilize your community!

Individual action is obviously a critical first step forward, but leaps and bounds happen only with the full force of a community rallying together.

Ø  Educate people! Social media can be a powerful tool for this.

Ø  Ask the organization you’re working with to consider hosting educational events that will also get other people passionate about the issue.

(5)  Finally, vote.

If you’re privileged enough to live in a country that gives you the opportunity to vote, seize it. Call, petition, and pressure elected officials. Make them listen. Encourage others to vote too.

Ø  Get started at rockthevote

A mantra of an extremely influential English teacher of mine: “Take courage of your convictions.” Had I had not heeded his advice, I would have never been as involved as I am now in an issue that matters deeply to me. If something is important to you, finding a way to address it is not merely an option: it is the only option.

Be compassionate and empathetic, educate yourself, do your research, and start from the ground up. That’s how we tackle the most pressing of problems and, eventually, change the world.

So if you have a ‘why,’ find a ‘how.’