Food Waste in Schools | Teen Ink

Food Waste in Schools

By ashantyGarcia BRONZE, Houston, Texas
ashantyGarcia BRONZE, Houston, Texas

America is globally within the top three most food-rich countries, yet it’s hunger rates exceed those of developing countries. The average person wastes about 31% of unopened, untouched, unpopped, edible food per year; which equals 133 billion pounds of food! (epa) A big source of all this waste is the nutrition system in American public schools. Day after day I observe as eight trash cans, per lunch period, brim with waste, of which 40% is eatable food. The system in which food is disposed within Alief ISD School District is flawed, there are many strategies already in place, by federal associations, to correct these flaws but no one cares enough to place them into action.

Initially, my goal was to find a solution to this problem, but I quickly realized how challenging this was. After doing continuous research on ways to minimize food waste I noted Texas already had plenty of guidelines in place, I began to wonder what my school, specifically did about food waste. I turned to the nutrition department at Albright Middle and found that the only “food rescue program” if you could call it that, was sliding unopened cereal and juice down the breakfast tables which other students could take. I wanted to know ways my school could implement actual food rescue programs, so I emailed the director of the Alief nutrition department. Through this email, I was given links to Alief’s policies on handling school lunch. After carefully going through  Alief’s Wellness Policy and Plan I did not find much, it stated Alief followed the rules set in place by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA’s) child nutrition programs, including the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and the School Breakfast Program (SBP). Given Alief follows USDA guidelines I began to research the NSLP food rescue programs. These laws stated by the USDA/NSLP encouraged food share/recuse programs in schools. Then things got tricky. Here I have the Alief Nutrition department telling me sharing, keeping or storing food of any kind is not allowed while at the same time they comply with the laws set in place by the USDA. If the USDA highly encourages food rescue programs shouldn't Alief take action?

In public American schools, only half of one percent of schools have a  program to save food (grist). One of my main goals going into this project was to focus on my school. I conducted a survey using Google Docs, but the results I got were not what I needed. Realizing I had to specify more, I made a survey with my peers. On this survey, I drew out the lunch menu and asked students to shade in the amount of food they threw away from their lunch trays. I did this for two days with a group of 56 students. The two days I conducted this survey there were two main variables that could have set off the numbers. The meals for both days were one of the most favored amongst students, and of course, there might have been confusion on instructions while filling out the surveys. The end results were distressing. Out of 56 students, 16% threw away all of their entrees, 6% threw away their milk, 17% threw away their veggie, 26% percent threw away their grain portion, 29% threw away their side, and finally, 44% of students threw away their fruit. This vast amount of food wasted must be brought the Alief’s attention.

The information provided by Alief ISD contradicted the information provided by the Texas Department of Agriculture and the United States Department of Agriculture. According to Alief ISD wellness policy and plan, students are not permitted to share food amongst each other, but the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) highly encourages the minimization of food waste by sharing. According to Alief, food share programs are not in place due to the possible spreading of communicable disease. Students with dietary restrictions worry Alief ISD as well. Though this all makes sense, there are possible solutions out there to accommodate these limitations only someone would have to look for them. It is understood Alief ISD is strongly against sharing food amongst students, but what about outside communities? After asking the nutrition department at Albright Middle School, I received very vague answers regarding liability problems. But if this was the case, Alief is protected by The Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act. This act, passed in 1996, protects any organization, who donate food in an effort to reduce waste, from liability problem and was passed in an effort to encourage donations to nonprofit organizations as well as reducing food waste. When I asked the Alief nutrition department, I was told that the lunch served at school was for “students only”. At least 40% of the trash bins fill with edible food, with eight trash cans per lunch period and four lunch periods; this means that 40% of 32 trash cans are filled with plenty of meals that students did not want and only grabbed because they were forced to. Alief students unconsciously waste amounts of food other families in need could benefit from. A bill passed in 2017 by the Texas Senate says just the opposite of this. Texas Senate Bill 725 allows districts to donate food leftover from lunch to outside organizations. This bill even authorizes schools to program the distribution of food inside the schools and encourages teachers to volunteer in the organization of this. Alief ISD’s food disposal policies need change, the worst part is there are multiple effective solutions to this problem.

Mending the amount of food wasted in schools is possible; the most effective method for my school would be composting. 61% of the food thrown away during lunch are biodegradable materials. Not only would having a compost pile take in whole food, but it also saves fruit which students have already bitten and cannot be given to other students. Composting brings along many benefits, not only to the school but the community. By composting in schools students are taught the value of protecting the environment. Though composting might seem like an unattainable task with the right tools it can be accomplished. After researching guides to composting in schools I found there are six general steps to follow. First, you must learn more in-depth on how composting will benefit your school. With this in mind, present the idea to the school board and receive approval from school; once you have approval,l gather a team of people in your school. This team should consist of students teachers and administrators. Secondly, contact an administration that focuses on composting, that will want to help. For example, the D.E.P will openly assist any school beginning their composting program. Step three, which in my opinion is crucial, is conducting a Characterisation Study this means figuring out the specifics of how much food your school wastes, including the type. The fourth step is to plan out all the details including; how scraps will be collected, type of collection containers, time schedule, how will the end compost product be used, who will attend the compost pile, type of compost system, and the construction of the compost pile itself. The fifth step is to educate the community on composting. During this step, a curriculum for students should be made to inform them on what a compost pile is and how it will bring benefits to the school, students, and the world. Parent involvement is also highly advised, whether it's a letter home or informational meeting at school. During step six is where the gratification begins; beginning the composting pile. This final step involves several substeps. One of the things needed during this step is the preparation of materials, here you will need to assure you have a sufficient source of carbon for your pile. The other parts of this step include; adding food scraps to the pile, turning the pile, troubleshooting to ensure the success of the pile, and finally collecting and reporting the amount of food saved. Composting might seem overwhelming, but with the right help and drive it can be accomplished.

Share tables are a more immediate way to reduce waste, several schools have already implemented these into their lunch periods. `Share tables are a very simple concept; whatever food students pick up and would not like to consume can be placed at a table where other students are free to take.  An adult would need to be supervising, during the process, to ensure the food complies with safety policies. According to Alief, food share programs are not in place because someone could get sick and that then becomes their problem. I realized that sharing food amongst students themselves is a challenge but there have already been schools who run these programs and have set guidelines in place to assist schools starting their food saving journey. Not only do share tables reduce food waste but eliminate lunchroom stigma. A student who can not afford lunch is free to take food from the share table without being judged by fellow classmates, in a way share tables bring in a sense of community within the student body. Reducing food waste in school lunchrooms has been made straightforward for schools thanks to organizations like the TDA and USDA that have already piloted and approved the programs.

It is evident the system in which Alief ISD disposes of food has many deficiencies. Implementing some sort of food rescue program is vital to better the community. It up to us and only us to change this. The work has already been done we just need some initiative into putting these programs into action. It is unacceptable to go around wasting such large quantities of food when every one in seven people are suffering as they are unable to eat. Share table and composting piles effectuate environmental awareness with students,  so they can develop a sense of gratitude.

This article is the result of six weeks worth of research on my topic of Food Waste in Schools.