Religion and Science Go Hand in Hand | Teen Ink

Religion and Science Go Hand in Hand

In the past, humanity was convinced that the sun revolved around the Earth and that we were the absolute center of the universe. We can look back on that time now and wonder how we ever thought such things. We have discovered we are not the center of the universe, instead a mere speck of dust floating in empty space. With all of these amazing revelations over the years, humanity has creatively found answers to many mysteries. Today we still have many questions about our existence and often turn to different sources for a concrete answer. These sources include science and religion, and some might think that these two ideas don’t agree. Yet science and religion go hand in hand because they compliment each other, give a better understanding of our world, and both involve faith in finding answers.

To begin with, these two concepts give us a better understanding of our world. They can be compared to our overall vision capabilities and how we perceive our environment. As you close one eye and then close the other, you will see two different pictures. But when both eyes are open, they create a third dimensional view of the world that is the true image. Both images are correct, but a little skewed when they stand alone. With this analogy, having one eye open to religion and the other eye open to science will give us a better understanding of the world around us. Both aspects of religion and science strengthen each other. For example, “Science has benefited from religion in the past- as during the Reformation, [...] And religion has grown stronger in the past due to science- when Copernicus showed that the Earth was not the center of the universe,” (Braun, 74-75). Here, both values have been able to strengthen our understanding of the other in the past, and can still continue today. Many misconceptions about the world can be twisted easily into something close minded and hateful about either religion or science.

Another reason why religion and science go hand in hand is because they are complementary. Religion and science don’t consist of the same truths which in result makes them two different things. But both ideas are both examples of revelations given, that in turn strengthen each other where one leaves questions. An example of this is, “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge which is power; religion gives man wisdom which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary,” (King). In this quote, Martin Luther King Jr. compares these two values, and addresses that their differences complete one another. Scientific research explains how certain aspects of the world work, such as the laws of gravity or survival of the fittest. While religion on the other hand explains why things are the way they are. There are many different faiths in the world, and most lead their followers to live righteous lives and to think ahead of long term benefits and consequences. Without one aspect or the other, we are either lost without a purpose and passion for life, or blind to the physical world we interact with. Together, religion and science create a more in depth perception of our environment and conscience. They don’t clash nor disagree, they instead complete the understanding of the other.

Lastly, both science and religion involve faith in finding answers. Although we cannot know all of the solutions to questions in our lifetime today, we can turn to sources of fact and feeling for guidance. President Russell M. Nelson, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints said,  “In the meantime, “we are limited in our ability to comprehend all the mysteries of the world around us through scientific endeavors,” he says. “Likewise, we are limited in our understanding of the mysteries of God and His grand design for His children.”” (Stanton). President Nelson is a renowned heart surgeon who has a great understanding and love for both religion and science. His faith has held him steadfast to a righteous life, and his love for science has expanded his knowledge of the world. Both fields required him to trust and believe the answers presented to him as he has grown. We cannot know every possible answer during our lives here on Earth, and many become discouraged and harden their hearts because of these limits. We must have faith to believe we will receive the outcomes presented by science and religion together.  

Despite all of this compatibility shown, people still tend to argue with one another over which idea is the true one to follow. These arguments include criticizing the inconsistencies of words of religious scripts, or judging the inconsistencies of scientific information. This topic is not at all black and white, it is instead various mixtures of grey that many people can interpret differently. Some people don’t believe in religion, and often wander with a loss of purpose in the world. Many won’t accept science and are simply blind to the possibilities. With all of these voices trying to be heard in our world, it’s hard to determine which to believe. But we don’t need to pick one side over the other. They are both unique and valuable forms of revelation that come together to form one singular unit of understanding. Both sides have always been open minded and nurturing, it’s only our choice to determine what we believe to be true.

In closing, religion and science are two different forms of revelation that go hand in hand. They provide a better understanding of our world while we spend our time here on Earth. They complement each other to expand our grasp on life, and involve faith and trust to find answers as we continue to look for guidance. We argue with each other over what is right and what is wrong, and in result we create more of a barrier between ourselves. But not everything in life will be separated exactly into what is right and what is not. Both religion and science contribute to our quality of life here on Earth, we don’t have to let one be overheard by the other. They are perfectly compatible and unitary in a world that tries to tell us they are not.

Works Cited:

King, Martin Luther. Strength to Love. Fortress, 2010.

Stanton, Alicia K. Science and Our Search for Truth.

Braun, Eric. Creationism versus Evolution. Greenhaven Press, 2006.

This was required for school