Voting for Change: An American Duty | Teen Ink

Voting for Change: An American Duty

By N-Tiahnybik SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
N-Tiahnybik SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

A cold breeze passes over me as my class and I trudge up the marble steps of Wisconsin’s  capitol building. Energy fills my body with excitement and anticipation as I will finally learn about these politics my parents jabber about. 

The tale would soon change, however, as my expectations did not meet my reality. Long story short: voting is not exciting, especially when you’re a kid who just wants to play video games. But, by no regards, does this mean I am anti-voting. Instead, I’m a huge believer in voting; I just don’t have the experience or problems yet for it to matter. Let me explain...

Voting establishes the people’s voice in government decisions. Without my vote, yes “my own singular vote,” the government buildings would be void, the desks lonesome, and the phones silent. It is because of me that government buildings are filled with chatter and bickering, and it is because of me that important decisions come to a conclusion. 

Voting pushes me to help make choices for the good of society. It is like having a friendly reminder go off on my phone telling me to give my input on how the United States should progress in its future endeavors. The act of not voting is really an act of voting, but voting in the sense that you agree with whatever is being voted on. The fact that not voting could essentially allow anything to pass through into law should scare you. You should take pride in your opinions and make sure they are heard before America takes a turn for the worst.

That field trip with my fourth grade class may have been a bore, but two valuable lessons will stick with me because of it. Politics and government related matters are not something that gets me on my feet in the morning, but it is something that I will pay more attention to in the future. The act of voting is crucial for America’s success, and that giant capitol building helped engrave that into my head.