My Dear Granddaughter... | Teen Ink

My Dear Granddaughter...

By Criversb15 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Criversb15 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

In only a month, I turn 18. My mom asks me, “Are you excited to be able to vote?”

I ponder the question. I hadn't occurred to me this was the year. The year I could contribute my opinion to the nationwide decision. Such an honor and privilege lies in my hands now, yet i’m not sure how I feel. Am I an elephant or a donkey, red or blue? How do I feel on all of these national debates? 

I attend a public high school, so the discussion of politics is often avoided. At home, the topic sparks heated discussions. Because of these factors, I felt uninformed and uneducated. What an embarrassment to have these rights, yet not utilize them. With only a month left before the privilege was in my hands, it is time to discover what voting means to me.  

What better way than to talk to my Grandpa, a courageous, resilient, and exceptionally patriotic Vietnam Vetran? Looking at him with eyes filled with curiosity, I ask, “Grandpa, why should I vote?” 

The words fly out of his mouth like a mighty eagle soaring over a red wood forest. “My dear granddaughter, to vote is to have a voice. Staying silent is letting others choose for you. You have a say on what goes on in our nation, why wouldn't you take that opportunity and run with it? I fought long and hard for this country so you children can have these privileges you do. It's your responsibility as a member of this nation to utilize what we fought for.”

He is right. It is time for me to inform myself, become educated with what's going on in the country I reside in. Time to do more than occasionally check Twitter once in a while. 

The next week, my mom and I sat on the couch with a delicious dinner in hand watching the debates. I also enrolled in a course called “American Problems” where every day I learn about current events and political issues going on in America. After that, I have educated discussions with family and friends about my political stance, and started to gain opinions on controversial topics. 

Now, when my mom asks me if I am excited to vote, I will be able to give her an answer I am much more content with, “Yes!”