This i believe | Teen Ink

This i believe

By ...PensiveGurl... PLATINUM, Aurora, Colorado
...PensiveGurl... PLATINUM, Aurora, Colorado

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it- Neil Gaiman.
Who are you to be who you are?-Le'Na Pernell

50 Cent. Beyoncé. Jay-Z. Carmelo Anthony. Maya Angelou. Shaq. Kobe.
Do you think that these people got to where they are without receiving some sort of education? Do you honestly believe that you can get to their positions without paying attention? If you do, then huh. I beg to differ. You have to be smart in order to get to the big time. You have to know what to do before you can rake in the big bucks.

My name is Mica J. Moore, and this is what I believe.
I believe that by having a good education, anything is achievable. Now I don’t mean that in the most literal sense. It’s not as if you can suddenly sprout wings, gills, or a third arm over night, nor develop a secret identity and become Super Man simply by perfecting the standard y=mx+b equations. Such things are impossible, so as to why you’d think that you could become them without toxic waste or radioactive spider bites is beyond me.
No, I’m talking about becoming something possible. Like a doctor or a lawyer. Maybe even the president, if that is what you’re really set on becoming. Anything you want to be, that is, any realistic dream that you might have could all be achieved through some perseverance and a little dedication. Big words, I know, but just because they’re slightly longer than the more common words, like “the” or “like”, doesn’t make it an impossibility.
You know, it saddens me when I see my fellow classmates throwing their lives away because they don’t pay attention to what the teacher is trying to say. They give up on their future because something is “too hard” or “too difficult”. Some of them don’t take the time to actually learn the material and focus in class. But in truth that hurts, rather than helps them.
If a rapper or a singer is what you want to become, then pay attention in Language Arts. If a doctor or a vet is what you have your heart set on, then you’d better listen and take good notes in math and health. The choices you make now affect how you act in the future. It’s crucial to your wellness and to your life that you reap the benefits of every available outlet that you can.
Unfortunately, the world we live in isn’t the fairest. It isn’t fair that you can get an education, but other people can’t. It isn’t fair that you have a roof over your head, while other people have card-board boxes, and grass huts, and sometimes, aren’t even that lucky. But because you have all of these things and you live in the educated society, it’s imperative for you to take advantage of these fortunate things.
So what if you don’t sport some new kicks, or drive that nice car, or own the latest fashion trends. So what if you can’t do all of the latest dances or walk or talk the way others do? All that matters is that you haven’t given up on yourself, your dreams, your hopes, or your future. Because all of the doors are open to you. That is what I believe.

an assignment for L.A.

on May. 5 2010 at 5:12 pm

Thank-you! =]

SandyC SILVER said...
on May. 4 2010 at 9:03 pm
SandyC SILVER, Concord, Other

"In the end it won't matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away"

i really like this...it is short and to the point....it is completely true, every word of it...it is an incredible piece of writing...and THAT is what i believe;)