Skins EXPOSING Skin | Teen Ink

Skins EXPOSING Skin

February 16, 2011
By Anonymous

MTV has recently launched a new show to air on Mondays at 10 PM. This show is called Skins. It is based on a UK series that is a huge hit. The show describes the social lives of high school teens and their issues with drugs and sexual activity.

The show has sparked a great deal of controversy because it has been labeled as Child Pornography. The New York Times defines Child Pornography as any visual depiction of a minor engaged in sexually explicit conduct. This applies to anyone under the age of 18 who is referred to as a minor. The youngest cast member on Skins is fifteen years old. The reason the show hasn’t been an issue in the UK is because, according to The New York Times, Britain has a higher tolerance for TV eroticism. Actions such as simulated masturbation, implied sexual assault, and teenagers disrobing and getting into bed together have been displayed in the recent episodes. There have also been scenes with alcohol and drug use.

MTV has been losing many of their sponsors for the inappropriate actions of the show. The latest sponsors to leave were Subway and Schick. General motors, H&R block, Taco Bell, Wrigley and other sponsors also refuse to have commercials run during the show. There has been controversy with whether or not Skins should stay on the air.