The Meaning of life ? | Teen Ink

The Meaning of life ?

January 11, 2012
By Anonymous

Have you ever sat and thought about something bigger than yourself? I know I often have, and to be honest, the mere thought scares me to death. It scares me to think how much bigger the World is outside my life, how there are 7 other billion people on the planet. Why… thinking like that … can make one feel quite insignificant, can’t it? It can make someone feel like their actions don’t really matter, well … in the bigger picture anyways

I often ask myself what the point of it all is. I’m not a religious person, so I don’t think someone has some divine plan for me. I think that we control our own lives, no one else. The actions we make today effect tomorrow, no doubt about it. Ever been mean or teased someone? C’mon, we all have. Whether its leading the teasing, or just joining in under peer pressure. We’ve all done it. I know I have, and I really regret any time I’ve ever upset someone. When you’re young you make mistakes like these, but the quicker you catch on that your actions affect others, and sometimes in a detrimental way, the quicker you grow as a person. It takes people a while, and some don’t get it at all. But I ask you, just to stop and think, if today you made someone smile. If you have, great. If you haven’t, maybe you should reconsider your attitude. I think that we’re all we have. Humans. We only have other humans, so why aren’t we as nice to each other as we should be? On a global scale its obvious that the human race is not united, Wars, terror attacks, mass murdering’s. But on an individual scale, its more hard to measure. We should be nice to each other, we’re all we’ve got. So, the next time you join in the teasing, start b***ing about someone behind their back, just stop and think. Think for once, and stand out from the crowd. Life’s tough enough without horrible people to add to it. Don’t be one of those people, and if someone’s like that to you, just think of the bigger picture. Just think… they were probably just following the crowd, or use you as an outlet for their own insecurities.

This piece is entitled the meaning of life. Truth is, no one knows. I know religions think they have a general idea, but truly … no one knows. But I think, the meaning of your life is to be the best you can possibly be. In all aspects. Me… I have a dream to be a writer, and occasionally use this website as a bit of an outlet for that. I’m not sure if that will ever happen, but I hope it will. Hope is really the only thing that keeps people going sometimes, hope for something better, that we’ll reach a stage in our lives where we’re just happy, and nothing else. At my current time in life, I am happy. Maybe not in all aspects, and I know I haven’t nearly achieved everything I want yet, but I am happy. You see, I think, while the meaning of life is to reach your full potential, you also have to be happy along the way. The journeys half of it.

Have you ever thought and sat about something bigger than yourself? If you haven’t… do it. Its not hard, just look up at night to the stars. That always gets me thinking about how big the World is, but I don’t think we’re all insignificant. No, we all play a part in the World. If you ever find yourself sitting and feeling down, or depressed, take a look around. Look at how lucky you are and what you have. A lot of people take it for granted. You’re looking at a screen, think about people who are living day to day, somewhere else in the World. You only get one life, so make sure you reach your potential, and do things you want to do. No one else. Make silly mistakes, fall in love hopelessly and give someone your heart, dance in the rain, laugh until it hurts, be nice to everyone, and stay positive. But most importantly, be happy. Life’s far too short to be anything else.