Deprive Yourself | Teen Ink

Deprive Yourself

March 16, 2012
By Anonymous

My teacher asked me to write a five paragraph essay on what it is like being a teen. She wanted us to tell the transformation from a young kid to a teen. Most of the kids in my class implied mostly about the tooth-fairy and Santa clause. I gave it a little more thought.

When I was younger i played with dolls and dreamed about dragons. As you mature everything that mattered to you no longer matters. Sometimes you end up changing your whole concept of life. What is the point of life if you can't live it out?
So I thought about how much I have changed. In the past two years i have made friends that I am not proud of, lost friends that I am proud to know, and done bad things. During this time I got caught up in who people wanted me to be and not who I am.
I don't know if you can tell by my writing but I am from Arkansas. Here most of us listen to country Or Christian music. At least that's what I thought. A bunch of kids told me that listening to country music is crap.so I changed my ways to please them. I want pleasing myself. I realize that now.
So my advice to you, think about who you are before you find who people want you to be.


The author's comments:
Life is hard.
Those who matter don't mind but those who mind don't matter.
~dr.suess