War Toys | Teen Ink

War Toys

By Isabel Young BRONZE, Crested Butte, Colorado
Isabel Young BRONZE, Crested Butte, Colorado

The cost of war since 2001 is $1,483,025,158,290 and growing every second (“Cost of National Security”). Our government coughs up an enormous amount of money on dangerous, deadly drones, and nuclear weapons. The government should be spending less on wicked war and more on the people of its country, the brains in the people’s education, and more on saving our planet and its environment. The government is being greedy with the amount of money it has and should share it with the communities within the country.

The use of drones is unneeded! Just drones alone have killed 993 innocent people, 209 of those people were frightened children (Matthews). Those statists are an amount growing by the hour, and only counted in two countries that we aren’t even at war with, Pakistan and Yemen. The government spends a fortune on these unmanned killers. In the past years, for example, in 2000 the government spent $284 million on drones. In this past year the amount sky rocketed to spending $4 billion on drones (“Military weighs cutbacks, shifts in drone programs”). This money should go to making our population smarter. Japan does not throw away the amount of money that we do on war, they put their money towards important things such as education that why they are ranked the smartest country in the world currently. Japan doesn’t even have a real military, they have a force called the Japan Self-Defense Force, this force has been brought into international peacekeeping (Japan Self-Defense forces). So why do we need to spend so much money on war? If we want to become more like the role model of Japan then we can be more unified with the world. All countries are trying to take over the world but you can’t just do that when you have the most advanced weapons you also have to have the most educationally advanced people as well.

Why do we as a country depend on threatening other countries with our manufacturing of nuclear weapons? Our country dispenses $1,202,565,528 alone on the manufacturing of nuclear weapons and that number is still growing. Every hour our tax payers wage $2.2 million every hour to support nuclear weapons. The opperation of nuclear should be used as a source of energy, not a source of war. Nuclear power is the most efficient way to make power; although nuclear waste is less than %1, that %1 is radioactive. Coal energy produces 125,000 tons of ash and 193,000 tons of sludge each year. Using nuclear power instead of coal and other fossil fuel electricity would be much better for the environment. Dangerous as the 1% of radioactive waste might be we can all find some way to store is safely. Unlike Fossil fuel waste you can’t store the waste because when burning coal it is impossible to collect all of the smoke produced. Nuclear power is a clean way to produce energy, all you need is water!

In conclusion, the government is becoming greedy with the amount of money it invests on war and the amount it is forced to give to schools and the environment. The government needs to start thinking smarter about this, do we really need all of those drones? All those nuclear weapons? Why don’t we spend more on making our population smarter? Making the environment we choose to live in less pollution filled? Our government needs to start to change our main power source to nuclear, and stop using it as a weapon, a threat. We need to stop and think about how we are governed; we don’t want all this war so why don’t we stand up for the things we care for. We don’t need as many unmanned killers in the lives of us, the lives of our children. Why is our population so vicious in the world of war? Why do we have to play with all of these scary war toys?

Bibliography
Bocca, Romina. Fraser, Alison. Goff, Emily. “Federal Spending by the Numbers, 2013.” www.heritage.org. August 20, 2013. October 23, 2013. Web. www.heritage.org
“Cost of National Security.” www.nationalpriorities.org. October 24, 2013. October 24,2013. Web. www.nationalprioities.org
Matthews, Dylan. “Everything you Need to Know About the Drone Debate, in One FAQ.” www.washingtonpost.com. 8 March 2013, October 22, 2013. Web. <www.washingtonpost.com>

This is such an important topic for us as teens to be thinking about because we are the next generation to be taking over this world. Is this how we really want our world to turn out to be later?