True Beauty | Teen Ink

True Beauty

By nfic2000 BRONZE, Wheeling, Illinois
nfic2000 BRONZE, Wheeling, Illinois

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Looks don't matter; beauty is only skin deep. We hear these sayings everyday, and yet we live in a society that seems to challenge this very idea. Clothing stores should not be putting a limit on the size of their apparel. This promotes an unrealistic standard of beauty that women are bombarded with everyday and gives them a goal that is impossible to reach. These standards need to cease and society needs to promote a healthy body image. Women of all shapes and sizes are beautiful.

Clothing retailer from Abercrombie + Fitch just announced that sales dropped 15% the first quarter and blamed inventory shortages. However, we are all aware that Abercrombie + Fitch has faced major social media blowback. Chief Executive Mike Jeffries has stirred controversy in the past by suggesting the company’s clothes were made for “cool” and “attractive” kids and not for “fat” people. The company currently does not offer sizes for women above large. The corporation said it would have a wider range of clothes by spring of 2014.

Abercrombie + Fitch isn't the only store that discriminates against larger body types. Stores, specifically Lululemon, Urban Outfitters, and Victoria's Secret all patronize an unrealistic body image. Lululemon is a company that truly strives to help people reach their goals, and live a healthy and happy life. If this is true, wouldn't it make sense to target all women, especially those women whose goal it may be to lose weight? Luluelemon admitted that its size range limits the type of customers who are able to shop at its stores. They also added that the plus-size consumer is not a focus right now.The vast majority of most company's target audiences are women. Clothing corporations should not be encouraging an unhealthy body depiction.

On the contrary, stores which do put limits on their clothes are fighting against obesity. Smaller sizes will persuade women to start a healthier diet and exercise more often. Society should accept the fact that not every women is a size 0. Therefore, stores should target all women especially those whose goal is to start a healthier life. Women should be allowed to wear any choice of clothes they would like to. Lululemon has a smaller variety of clothes for women who are a plus size. Not only is this inspiring women to lose weight, but it is telling their customers that women should thrive to wear their clothes.

Although this is a very controversial topic, clothing stores should not be establishing a limit on the size of their clothes. Beauty does not mean the physical, but the inner beauty. Every woman is beautiful in her own way. Inner beauty is the most important feature in a human being. Society needs to accept the fact that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. This idea of “beauty” needs to stop and and people need to realize that beauty isn’t skin deep.

I hope that when people will read my article they will realize that looks don't matter and beauty is only skin deep.