Injustices Against Humanity | Teen Ink

Injustices Against Humanity

By andystrub BRONZE, Bloomington, Illinois
andystrub BRONZE, Bloomington, Illinois

"What would be worse Chuck? To live as a monster or die a good man?"

There is a large problem starting to show itself around the world, and you can do something about it. Most likely, if you know of some injustice and know that you can help, you would feel the need to help. So let me show you the issue, and the ways you can make a difference, and let you go out and help. This “problem” is crimes against humanity, or crimes against innocent people. Now, if you can easily help stop the violence and crimes by signing a petition, or donating five dollars, or joining an organization like Amnesty International, it will take less then 20 minutes out of your day. So, my question is, why wouldn't you? But before that, let me tell you about these crimes, so you know what we’re fighting against.

Medical Experimentation
When you think of Medical Experimentation, you most likely think of the Nazi’s and the Houlocoust. But there are many other times in history were unwilling “test subjects”. Even nations thought to always be whole and good have been offenders. In the 1940’s, United States Federal doctors in Guatemala infected about 5,500 unwilling and unknowing Guatemalans with STDs to study the diseases. When the studies came to light in September of 2011, many Americans were appalled. “The Guatemalan Experiments have also been compared to the Tuskegee Syphilis experiment in Alabama. During the 40-year study that began in 1932, doctors observed how the disease progressed in about 400 poor African-Americans who already had the disease.” (cnn.com) The Tuskegee experiments were similar to the Guatemalan Experiments, in the way neither patients were treated or realized they had the disease. Although these seem like major offensives, no one has ever served jail time for either experiments. Many believe that these weren't as bad as the Nazi Medical experiments, where “A number of German physicians conducted painful and often deadly experiments on thousands of concentration camp prisoners without their consent.” (United States Holocaust Museum) But the U.S experiments were still illegal, no matter who committed the offenses.

Chemical Warfare
In World War One, both sides used Chemicals to end long, hard, fought out stalemates caused by the new use of trenches. Because no one would venture out into no-mans land, the battles would last weeks or even months. Both sides were looking for a good way to win battles faster and with less of their own soldiers deaths. Germany found this in Chlorine gases. Germany would throw grenades or canisters with the gas inside, which “would burn the thoughts of victims and suffocate them, much like smoke in a house fire.” (How Stuff Works) Through the years, Chemicals got better and better at their grim job of delivering death. The most famous in World War Two was Mustard Gas, which “would Inflame your throat, cause large blisters on the skin, and bleeding from blisters and the mouth.” (How Stuff Works) After large public outcry, a Chemical Weapons Convention was held to outlaw the use. Although the weapons are against laws, it hasn’t stopped many a country from using them, including Syria, against innocent citizens not apart of their civil war. The United Nations (U.N) has been looking into Syria and considering consequences. This isn’t any small problem either. Many middle-eastern countries have been told to destroy stockpiles of chemical weapons by the U.N, to no avail. Countries like Iran and Israel have not declared that the have nuclear weapons, but many important officials believe that they do.

Genocide
Genocide is the most widely understood of any of the Crimes Against Humanity. There are many crimes under the category or ‘Crimes Against Humanity’ that aren't as prevalent, such as torture or the death penalty (consider by some organizations to be a crime against freedom) but the biggest problem is genocide. The Holocaust is the best known form of genocide, which is “The deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.” (Dictionary.com) Some of the more famous genocides are the Holocaust, the 100 Days of Blood in Rwanda, and Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. In Rwanda, there are three main ethnic groups. “Hutu (approximately 85%), Tutsi (14%) and Twa (1%).” (United Human Rights Council) On April 6, 1994, a plane carrying the Hutu president was shot down, and Hutu’s immediately blamed the Tutsi’s for the crash. Without any questions asked, Hutu’s began to kill all Tutsi on no court basis. Hutu’s would kill unarmed and innocent men, children, and women unmercifully. Hutu men would go on raids where they would kill all the men and children first, rape the women, and then murder them too. 800,000 people died in the 100 days of blood, and ¾ of the Tutsi population was wiped out. Oftentimes, when a person of people commit genocide, they strongly believe that they are doing the right thing, even though they are killing millions of people.

Now that you know about these crimes, there are many ways you can join the fight against the crimes. You could join an organization, or even just read some articles on a website. Then, you could donate what might seem like a small amount of money to you, but added all up, it all matters. Even just a few cents would help. Or, you could sign a petition, about anything. There are petitions for every topic available. You can find anything at all. Many of the organizations are spreading awareness and donating money to new democratic governments to help stop the crimes. They also try to help get new countries off the ground and lower the poverty levels of these countries. All of this combined decreases the amount of crimes greatly. Just remember that there are always horrible things going on, and we need to stop them.

An article about mass crimes against humanity, what they are, who they affect, and what we're doing to combat them.