The Standardized Testing of 8 Year Olds | Teen Ink

The Standardized Testing of 8 Year Olds

The first test was the more rigorous one. It called for knowledge and understanding of relatively advanced math, science and language arts skills. I was seated next to a “problem child” as he would not concentrate on the test unless someone was watching him. Each portion of the test was two hours long. Without break and the school was not required to feed the kids the morning of the test. Several students were sent to school without breakfast, negligence of the parents. These students struggled each day to sit through the test and answer every question, let alone put their best efforts into correctly solving each problem.

My “problem child” showed me just how intelligent he is during the first half hour of every morning. After that he would slouch, sometimes cry and itch to move around. He was not the only one struggling with this problem. When the kids were finished with the test they would automatically get riled up, as a result of sitting for so long. It was unbearable for me to watch them as they gazed out the window at the playground with an hour left of testing.

It took five days to complete these exams. Each morning the kids would walk in, slouching and groaning when they saw the schedule outlined on the chalk board. Every single day they would ask me why they were testing. I would answer them every single day, “the state wants you to, they want to know how smart you are” and they would reply “that’s stupid”. Although this was not the most eloquent of answers, it does make sense.

How can a few math, or common sense questions truly evaluate the level of intelligence and child possesses? The factors of the testing facility, home life and emotions on the day of the test can prohibit a student from performing to their “very best ability” on a test. My personal belief is that it is absolutely ridiculous to test an 8 year old for two hours, five days a week.

I felt horrible forcing those kids to sit still, and silently for so long. It was torturous, and after the 3rd child started crying I was completely fed up.