The Mirror of a Typical Indian Girl: The Fine Line Between Pretense & Truth | Teen Ink

The Mirror of a Typical Indian Girl: The Fine Line Between Pretense & Truth

June 8, 2014
By Anonymous

THE MIRROR OF A TYPICAL INDIAN GIRL: how she really is and how she's really supposed to be.
I'm from India, that too from a very conservative family-conservative in terms of boy-girl relationships, girl's outward nature, girl's dressing sense, girl's studies, girl's this and girl's that. Seriously, if you are that concerned about a girl, why not show that concern in her career?safety?education? Nah. That'd be too mainstream and boring. Right, the-grand-old-legendary-Indian-society?

If a girl makes some effort about her appearance, people start doubting that she's probably seeing some guy. If she chooses some different field or career option, people ridicule her and rightly make her realize where she stands(in THEIR opinion). They don't have faith in her capabilities and qualities. If a girl hangs out more with guys than with girls, she's deemed to be characterless. Each and every discussion about a girl's future in India ends with the overrated subject of 'marriage'-that how a successful marriage is the best thing that can be gifted to a girl. No, thanks. I'd rather have a McDonald's Burger please.

If a girl chooses not to marry, well, may God be with her, because hell awaits her at every step she'd take next.

Who would be the ideal most girl then? I'll tell you.

The ideal Indian girl is supposed to be docile, simple, sweet(even if people throw bullshit at you, you gotta be like, "Oh Hello! How do you do?"), sober, decent, quiet, submissive, kind, selfless, a perfectionist at household work blah blah blah

No. No girl is perfect. But here, she's tortured if she doesn't work her sweat and blood to become perfect.

You are supposed to please every single human being to come across you. And don't you dare expect them to reciprocate the same! Nada.

When females as young as 5 and as old as 55 are raped, even then us girls are taught to take all sorts of precautions. At times, the victim is held at fault, for providing 'provocation' and 'encouragement' to the rapists. Why aren't the guys held at fault for portraying their pathetic animal and evil instinct? After hearing such news, you know what i feel 'provocated' and 'encouraged' to do? To stab them. For hours and hours. Are the guys told to respect the female? The female-the creator and preserver of life? No.

You know what? I might as well just walk naked on the street and you still don't have a right to touch me!

I feel so repulsed and disgusted at this whole scenario that sometimes i just feel like running away, somewhere far far away from all the masochistic pigs, stereotypical comments and gestures and the prejudiced society.

Lucky are the Indian girls who live in a modified and modern place, who don't have to live upto a 1000 people's expectations each day, who are bold enough to make a stand for themselves, who haven't been through hell due to the 'worshipped' males, whose family actually prioritizes their education and career ahead of their marriage, who are safe, secure and above all FEARLESS.

I'd be highly obliged and indebted if people ACTUALLY did something PRACTICAL for the betterment of women, instead of defending men for their abominable behaviour, instead of advising women not to venture out late at night-not to wear 'improper' clothes(Go get a life! -_-)-not to be too bold or noticeable, instead of asking us not to draw attention to ourselves, instead of turning a rape case into a ground for political battle, I'd be highly obliged and indebted if people ACTUALLY did something USEFUL.


The author's comments:
This piece comes out as a revolt to the ongoing crisis. Unable and prohibited to showcase my true feelings at a larger level, I'm confined to unleash my murderous emotions over here. I'm so not sorry is you don't find this appealing. To those girls who feel connected to it, amen sister!
Not implying that the condition of every single female in India is the same, I'm simply 'highlighting stuff'. Take care!