It's A Girl! | Teen Ink

It's A Girl!

November 21, 2014
By PrinceJay BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
PrinceJay BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." -William James


“But you were born a female! You can’t be a boy!” How about no.

 

First of all, gender and sex have absolutely nothing to do with each other. They’re two completely different ideas and should be considered as such. Many people don’t identify with the gender they were assigned at birth, such as a female who calls themselves a boy and vice versa. Of course biologically, this doesn’t add up. If you have female parts, you are a girl. You came out of your mother and the doctor slapped a pink blanket on you and that was that. That’s sex. Gender on the other hand, is more than just boy and girl. To me, it’s a spectrum and people can fall along any part of it. For example the most common one is transgender, identifying as the opposite gender. Then there is gender fluidity, which is shifting from one gender to another, and agender or non-binary, which is not fitting in with the gender binary at all. These people feel uncomfortable in their own bodies and in a society that is ridden with ridiculous gender roles.

As someone who can relate to this tremendously, I can safely say that many times, the discomfort is stronger within friends and family. Suddenly you hear that your dad expects women to cook and clean while the men go out and do manly things such as pay taxes, watch football, and lift heavy boxes. Your mom is telling you to sit up and be quiet and wear pretty dresses because frankly “you look like a boy, sweetie” and “no boys are going to date you if you look like one.”

These gender roles are sickening and I fully blame it on the social construct they were created from.

Everyone tells their children that little boys can’t play with dolls or like the color pink because it’s a “girl thing” and they tell their daughters that liking toy cars and superheroes is for boys. Really. I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that there even is such a concept as “girly” or boy things and even colors. Society is just so hellbent on differentiating people based on their sex that if a boy wears a dress, he must want to be a girl, right? No? Well then he must be gay.

Wrong. incredibly, horribly, terrifyingly wrong.

 

How about you stop assuming gender and sexuality based on appearances?

How about you stop telling me that I’m not allowed to be who I feel comfortable being?

 

How about we start supporting these people by respecting what they prefer to be called and allow them to present themselves however they please so that they can feel safer and more accepted in their own community.


The author's comments:

Not very recently, but recently enough, I've come to realize and accept that the gender I was assigned as at birth isn't the gender that I feel comfortable being labeled as. I've noticed that I was becoming increasingly aware of the fact that being identified as a specific gender makes me feel restricted and that I can't be myself around even my friends and family. Before my 10th grade year, I had absolutely no idea that gender identities besides transgender even existed. I felt like I was the only one that didn't conform to the "norm." After learning about the gender spectrum and meeting people that have gone through the same confusion as me, I began to notice that not a lot of people knew about it or they didn't care enough to respect it. 

 

I hope that when people read this, they'll understand and at least try to respect what people like me go through. I hope this article will encourage everyone to learn more about it and support us.