Reality | Teen Ink

Reality

By Norma_ BRONZE, Las Cruces, New Mexico
Norma_ BRONZE, Las Cruces, New Mexico

"You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one."

All we ever want is to be happy. But if you think about it being happy is pretty much impossible. This world is perplexing. We can only be happy for a little. Happiness only lasts for a split second. For example: blowing out the candles on your cake, until you realize you are one year closer to being 6 feet under. Saying "I do", until you realize your love won't last forever. Holding clothes that came fresh out of the dryer, until you realize one second later it's already cold. A good hair day, until it's the end of the day and you look like you just got out of bed. Laughing, until you realize it's not funny anymore. The smell of rain, until the sun comes out and it goes away. Falling in love, until the second you realize it's going to hurt. Getting high or drunk to get things off your mind, until you realize you can't run away from reality. Smiling, until you realize how much you're hurting inside. My point being, happiness is like pulling a fresh flower out of the ground, but moments later it's already dying. Being happy can be possible but it doesn't last forever. 

I was sitting here thinking about why I wasn't happy. When a thought occured to me. "Is it even possible to be happy?"

I hope a lot of people can relate to this. Do you?

It's sad, but it's the truth.

Happiness only lasts for seconds, until it lasts forever.