Money Can Indeed Buy Happiness | Teen Ink

Money Can Indeed Buy Happiness

October 30, 2015
By triston_davis BRONZE, Crested Bute, Colorado
triston_davis BRONZE, Crested Bute, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The question that has been asked for hundreds of years, " Can money buy happiness"? Well, it depends how you spend it. According to psychologist, John Grohol  " Money can buy you happiness as long as you give some of the money away or use it for an experience rather than buying a product”. I myself think that money can indeed buy happiness because there is so many things that you can buy with money that would make you happy and others happy.


"Buy moments not stuff" according to according to Dan Gilbert, harvard university psychology professor. If you spend your money on a object no matter how special it is as first, you get used to it having it over time and it just becomes another object. Giving money to others could make your entire day better. " Philanthropist Matel Dawson Jr, who has given away more than $900,000 to worthwhile causes says " it makes me happy to give money away".  If someone were to give just one dollar to a poor person or a homeless man their happiness would boost increasingly. Buying experiences is also another simple way to prove that money can indeed buy happiness, taking a family trip to the Bahamas would make the family happy because they are having a experience that money bought for them. Also a way to buy happiness is to invest in others, for example if some parents payed for their children to go to college and over time see them succeed because of them going to college it would bring happiness not only to the parents but the child also. Another way to bring happiness from money is to donate to charities and homeless shelters, for example last year we bought presents for a kid who couldn't get presents for Christmas because his family was very very poor, we bought the boy what was on his wish list and it brought smiles to my family's faces when we did and I'm sure he was happy when he received his presents. That story proves that money can indeed buy happiness if you spend it wisely.
    

Some people disagree that money can buy happiness, "happiness comes from within, it is not external; it is internal, so you can not buy it. You have to own it. You have to call it forth from within you, where it is embraced with love for self, knowledge of self and a spiritual connectedness with the creator", Dr Samella B Abdullah explains. Money can't buy you love and objects you buy with money will only last a little while and money cannot buy you the feeling of happiness, happiness is usually what you feel with someone else, it's not like you can buy a person. Money also can't buy confidence. Money can sometimes negatively consume your life which would not make people very happy, for example if you were a poor person and really desperate for money and you would do anything to get their hands on it. So you go and rob someplace and maybe mug a couple of people just to get some money, which will eventually negatively costume your life by getting thrown in jail. Or in some cases spending the rest of your life in prison because of money. Happiness is a state of mind not a object. " Dr Lewis Jack believes that real happiness is a peace of mind, good health and  being content with yourself and where you are at this point in your life". And sometimes the best things in life are free, " you have to go inside to find the sources of real joy. You can't buy real friends; you can't buy trust. You can't buy love. What you can buy is superficial, and not the real thing" Dr Gill Willis stated. Money is only a object not a state of mind.


Can money buy happiness? The realistic answer is yes, money can buy happiness but it depends how you spend it. To buy happiness " buy moments not stuff" Dan Gilbert stated. The question " can money buy happiness will go on for years and there will never be a true answer to the question. But my answer and hopefully your answer is that, money can indeed buy happiness.

Lucas, R.E. & Schimmack, U. (2009). Income and well-being: How big is the gap between the rich and the poor? Journal of Research in Personality, 43(1), 75-78.
Nicolao, L. Irwin, J.R., & Goodman, J.K. (2009). Happiness for sale: Do experiential purchases make consumers happier than material purchases?  Journal of Consumer Research, 36(2), 188-198.