Embracing Yourself | Teen Ink

Embracing Yourself

Judgment, you are a harsh reality. People are always telling each other that they aren’t good enough, or don’t matter. Judgment is in so many different places, in so many different ways. If you let it affect you too much, it starts to consume you. You start to lose focus on what you love to do, or what you aspire to be. In today’s world, people are so comfortable with letting other people make choices for them.  Society put a monopoly on feelings. We let other people run our thoughts and emotions. I am as guilty of this as anyone. I used to write all the time, but it never felt good enough for me. Maybe the reason I could never truly feel fulfilled with my writing is because it was always a vague representation of my emotions. It was like cover, a mask of what I was feeling. It was like I was afraid of writing what I felt, because someone would judge me or the words didn’t sound pretty enough for other people to appreciate. How can I expect anyone to like what I have to say if I don’t even know what I’m saying? So I write this to anyone who has ever judged someone. Let go of whatever is causing you to feel this need to bring others down. We are all perfectly imperfect and have so many flaws. But we all have one thing in common. We are all people.

I hope that anyone who reads this will feel inspired to do better, and live better.