Does Gender and Race Still Affect Education Today? | Teen Ink

Does Gender and Race Still Affect Education Today?

By kirah07 BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey
kirah07 BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey

Race and gender inequality, even though some may not want to believe it, still play a very big role in students’ education. As stated in the Civil Rights Data Collection, “Black, Latino and Native Americans have a bigger chance of going to schools with a higher concentration of first year teachers than white students.” People cannot continue thinking that everyone is equal in school because not everyone has the same perspective.Equality in schools is something that we need to work towards. Not only does race play a huge role in thousands of people’s education, but so does gender. According to a study done by the Civil Rights Data Collection, there are 65 million girls that are not in school around the world - this is way too many. We must continue the constant struggle of getting more girls in schools. Education changes lives and if some young people do not have access, than it will really affect their future. Race and gender affect what kind of education a student will have because today’s schools are unequal. 

Firstly, race affects what kind of schooling anyone will get still today. Black students were expelled at three times the rate of white students says the Civil Rights Data Collection. So many young people are being underprivileged because of their race, and are only trying their best to get an education. It’s not okay that someone’s race could affect their schooling! Education is essential in anyone’s life, no matter anyone’s race. The Civil Rights Data Collection has also observed that nearly one in four boys of color, excepting Latino and Native American students with disabilities received an out of school suspension. These statistics emulate the fact that race has an effect on students’ education.

Likewise, not only does race affect what kind of education a student will get, gender also plays a role. As reported by ABC News, there are 31 million girls of primary school age not in school. Seventeen million of these girls will probably never attend school in their lifetimes. This should not be a statistic. Every single child is worthy of getting a proper education, in the U.S., and around the world. According to the Washington Post, getting into elite colleges is harder for women than for men. Shown by their information by the US Department of Education Data, 11 percent of men were accepted to Brown versus 7 percent of women in 2014. Not only this, but at Vassar College, the 34 percent acceptance rate for men was almost twice as high as the 19 percent rate for women. This information is absurd, and has to be changed before the numbers increase. These facts show that gender will affect what kind of education student’s get.

Third, colleges and schools can do something about the gender and race inequality that exists. As stated by the Washington Post, “Colleges won’t say it, but this is happening because elite schools field applications from many more qualified women than men and thus are trying to hold the line against a 60:40 ratio of women to men. Were Brown to accept women and men at the same rate, its undergraduate population would be almost 60 percent women instead of 52 percent—three women for every two men.” This is not something that cannot be changed. Elite colleges are abusing their power by making it harder for women to get into college than men, instead of giving them the equal opportunity that they deserve. Schools are exploiting students, and they have to be liberated, so the inequality in schools can decrease.

In summation, race and gender are very big factors in education. The Washington Post tells us that soon “gender blind admissions will be the new campus rallying cry”. Gender imbalance is schools is so senseless and has come to the point where some students are revolting, and want their admissions being looked at as genderless, just so they’ll have a better chance of being accepted. Racism in our nation’s public schools are just as bad. Shown by the Civil Rights Data Collection, black students were expelled at three times the rate as white students. This type of racism affects where students will go for school, and performance in school as well. A recent study done by Northwestern University shows that “researchers found that the physiological response to race-based stressors—be it perceived racial prejudice, or the drive to outperform negative stereotypes—leads the body to pump out more stress hormones in adolescents from traditionally marginalized groups.” The effects of this discrimination is appalling. No one should feel like they have to assimilate to a different race to get a better schooling. Good opportunities should be evenly distributed between everyone, no matter someone’s race, gender, religion, or anything else.

Works Cited
"Top 10 Facts You Don't Know About Girls' Education." ABC News. ABC News Network, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2016.

"14 Disturbing Stats About Racial Inequality in American Public Schools." The Nation. N.p., 29 June 2015. Web. 18 Dec. 2016.

"Why Getting into Elite Colleges Is Harder for Women." The Washington Post. WP Company, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2016.

U.S. News & World Report. U.S. News & World Report, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2016.

The Atlantic. Atlantic Media Company, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2016.

I got inspired to do this piece becuase of all of the facts and cases that Ihave recently become aware of. Being a student of color gives me a much different perspective than other students might have, which is another reason why I feel so strongly on this topic.