A PSA on Feminism | Teen Ink

A PSA on Feminism

By LilyChambers BRONZE, Portola Valley, California
LilyChambers BRONZE, Portola Valley, California

“Feminazi.” “Man-Hater.” How did the word “feminist” become a dirty word? As a young woman, and a feminist, I am concerned with the perception and interpretations of the feminist movement. The following are summarized conversations I have either experienced or overheard:

“Are you a feminist?”
“Yes!”
“Oh, you must hate men. Are you a feminazi?”

“Are you a feminist?”
“No”
“So you don’t support other women? Why?”

A group of boys talking about a girl in my grade: “Oh, she’s a feminist. She scares me.” *the conversation pauses, as you can feel the judgement and presumptions amongst the minds of several teenage boys*
Ah, the ultimate trick question; “Are you a feminist?” If you answer no, you must not support women. If you answer yes, you must hate all men, and are automatically attached to an abundance of negative stereotypes. (I say “must” in the stereotypical sense that seems to overpower most reactions to being a feminist) This is an issue. Modern day feminism has turned into an “us vs. them” between the sexes, a loud, present battle, almost turning the word “feminist” into an insult.

As a 16 year old girl, I have overheard my male classmates using the word “feminazi” as a joke; a topic for their amusement. Ok, I will admit, I can see how radical feminism could be seen as a joke through the eyes of a teenage boy. Maybe it’s there immaturity, their lack of understanding of what feminism is, or they find feminists threatening. No matter the reason, here’s the issue with joking about “feminazis”:  They often use “feminist” and “feminazi” synonymously. While the general understanding of feminism and public perceptions of feminists have come a long way, there are still lingering stereotypes in the media today, as feminists are often portrayed to be angry, uptight, whiny and man-hating. (Side note: If we're angry it's probably for a good reason!) In order for feminism to be a positive, universal movement, the stereotypes need to go. 

So what does it mean to be a feminist, and what does it not mean? There are a lot of different ideas of what feminism is and what it means to people, but the basis of being a feminist is fighting for equality. For me, it is advocating for women’s rights on that basis. It is empowerment. It sees sexism, and dismantles it.  It is being able to wear whatever you want without criticism. It means respecting women and men the same way. It means a lot of other things too, but those are the most important things to me. Supporting feminism does not mean you hate men, it does not mean you hate “pretty girls,” it does not mean you are a b****, it does not mean you are are automatically a lesbian, or that you don’t shave. It can mean a number of things. It is inclusive. Dare I say it, we all need feminism. For me, I didn’t become a feminist, I just realized that I had always been one, and I want to see change in the way the movement is perceived and talked about.

-