Fictionalized History | Teen Ink

Fictionalized History

December 7, 2018
By OwenGuo444222444 BRONZE, Chicago, Alabama
OwenGuo444222444 BRONZE, Chicago, Alabama
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Fiction is a way that history can be taught and should be taught from a perspective that is honest and unbiased with proof from non-fictional sources. When writing historical fiction, transparency and honesty is always required to write any type of informative literature. To this day some argue if fiction is a way of teaching or not.

Fiction is a type of teaching that normally relates to a real topic and changes it and or shortens it down. In fiction it is made easier to understand and read for younger students. Such as in "Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat" Winston Churchill 1940 Nonfiction (133) the statement, "That this House welcomes the formation of a government representing the united and inflexible resolve of the nation to prosecute the war with Germany to a victorious conclusion.” In the novel by Winston Churchill, the words and speaking style is very confusing and can be misinterpreted. In the novel, "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: A Fable" Fiction John Boyne 2006 on page (153) the main characters are kids “Bruno’s mouth dropped open and he tried to remember the way you used your mouth if you wanted to say the word “yes”. He’d never seen anyone look so terrified as Shmuel did at that moment and he wanted to say the right thing to make things better, but then he realized that he couldn’t; because he was feeling just as terrified himself. “ The kids can help show the perspective of a child at the time the event took place. Younger students are easier to understand these quotes and understand the meaning of the stories and how people were treated. Fiction can sometimes go off topic but it is one way to teach students stories and history lessons in an easy and relatable way.

Fiction can give multiple different points of views from people who have acknowledged or lived throughout the story. In fiction there can be certain views from people who think a certain way about a topic and this can help to learning experience by students seeing and identifying how the writer could have thought about the topic by analyzing the reading style. Students seeing the different types of views and how people reacted in different ways to the certain topic. As stated in “Teaching History Through Fiction” by an unknown author on pages (158) it states a valid point, “By exploring the moral issues of the Holocaust through the eyes of two innocent young boys, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas accomplishes what should be important aims of both fiction and history: it moves people to care and to think.” Students can understand the story better and learn from it at the same time. History is supposed to teach students about past events and moments in history and sometimes learning can be confusing or difficult. Assigning fiction books can help the issue and gives students the opportunity to understand and contribute in conversations and or understanding of the book itself by looking through and acknowledging how the characters act by a relatable view. Fiction not only helps students learn easier but more effective.

Arguments over fiction being taught in history will keep going on with importance. Some argue that fiction stories make history topics blurry and students do not understand the actual topic because they only understand the books point of view. Though this point can be true, teachers can use truthful, unbiased books to teach students and mention the students to understand the view. Students reading fiction stories can expand their knowledge to the different point of views and stories for different literary books or novels. Students can understand the sand use fiction to learn history in a more fun, relatable, and exciting way.


The author's comments:

Written by, “Ethan Newman” for Underwood. A way on history being Fictionalized.