High School Causes Stress in Students | Teen Ink

High School Causes Stress in Students

January 31, 2019
By washkayl BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
washkayl BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This week in Mukwonago, Wisconsin, students have started signing up for their high school classes. While many students are excited about this new change and all the options they have for new classes, others are scared for this big transition and don’t know where to start for picking classes.

   A quote that a student was heard saying was, “There are so many classes I don’t even know where to start, there are like five gyms!” While another student replied, “Really? I have it all figured out.” The first student is probably getting stressed due to the fact that they are confused about this brand new change, and they might not be getting information that could help relieve this stress.

   According to The Washington Post in their article, “How Much Does Stress Affect learning?” it says that stress can cause, “internalizing problems (presence of anxiety, loneliness, low self-esteem, and sadness in the child).” While students are getting stressed during school about high school this can lead to more problems outside of school such as anxiety, which could cause a number of things to happen in and outside of school, leading to a snowball effect.

   One way students could help relieve this stress is by going to the Course Information Night on January 30. This event can help students because they will get more information about classes they can take and get an opportunity to talk to teachers they may have next year. So while many students stress about this big transition into high school, a smart thing they can do is go to Course Information Night on January 30.


The author's comments:

This piece was written to help students in my school with High School Registration.