Literary Analysis | Teen Ink

Literary Analysis

February 11, 2019
By 332391 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
332391 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone goes through multiple issues in life, but in the end, they find a new self within. The inexplicable logic of my life, tells about a family, and the changes they go through throughout their life. This book is genuinely moving however it deal with self doubt and questioning life. It conveys the message of how important family really is. In the inexplicable logic of my life, Benjamin Alire Sáenz uses real word problems to develop growth and inner change to a character.

To begin with, a very serious matter majority of people go through in their life is encountering death from a close friend or family member. Throughout this book, characters have had death change them in more ways than one. For example,“I heard sam crying in the room right across the hall. Dad told me it would be that way, ups and downs with emotion.” (Sáenz, 197) “It wasn’t like her to please people. That wasn’t her style. She was changing. She really was changing.” (Sáenz, 209) One of the main characters in this book, Samantha, finds out that her mother dies and goes through many emotional and mental changes in her life. Having a loved one die is such a grave matter that no one has control of, but people still have to fight through the pain and sorrow to come out stronger.

Another equally important conflict is that some parents do drugs that end up affecting people around them. Fito, who is a significant character in the book deals with a drug addict and abusive mother. To highlight,“ ‘Look my mom threw me out of the house, she was high and had a demonic look on her face.’ ‘You wanna live here? Start paying!’ ‘She started hitting me and saying all sorts of things and calling me a f*****, and so i just packed my things and got the hell out.’ ” (Sáenz, 264) This implies that Fito’s mom is so ruthless and careless that she would rather pick money over her own son. Ever since Fito’s dad left them, he was basically all on his own and grew up with nothing. Nowadays, numerous people do drugs that eventually affects people around and close to them.

Finally, having single parents is an extremely common thing, but can influence the life of the child, and lead to a bit of neglect. Sam has a single mom who isn’t even home much of the time to actually be a mom, “ ‘You’re never here there, Mom. You’ve never been there.’ I realized Sam wasn’t angry at all. She was hurt.” (Sáenz, 92) Sam’s mom goes out on dates regularly and leave sam alone with nobody to take care of her. Because of this, she got so miserable she started to go out with bad guys. In the book, majority of the characters have single parents, which is perfectly fine, but in some cases having a single parent has its downfalls.

Benjamin Alire Sáenz’s the inexplicable logic of my life, shows us that no matter how hurt people get through conflicts, they still end up changing and growing. The inexplicable logic of my life, is about love from family, overcoming challenges and finding yourself. This book also conveys how important family is through distraught times. Although life has many downfalls, living is about getting back up and working through the challenges.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      


The author's comments:

This piece is based from a book i read for a book club for my class called the inexplicable logic of my life.