Symbolic Meanings in The Hate You Give | Teen Ink

Symbolic Meanings in The Hate You Give

By P1CKLES BRONZE, Houston, Texas
P1CKLES BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Angie Thomas uses many different symbols in the novel to portray how two conflicting worlds are viewed in the eyes of society. Starr, a colored girl, watches as her world crumbles down after watching her best friend get shot, making her question the life she has been living. Because of this, Starr embarks on a journey to find her voice and the power to stand up for what she believed in. In “The Hate You Give,” Angie Thomas tells a story of innocence being lost in a moment of tragedy which is depicted through many symbols to further display her novel’s larger theme.

Reality can be brutal, and sometimes, a mere mistake is enough to end our time on earth. This is exactly what happened to Khalil’s case: Because a hairbrush was mistakenly perceived for a gun, the story of his life was ended too soon. Starr lost a loved one in such an unexpected way, which foreshadowed another great loss ending in the same way; Natalias’. The hairbrush represented both the blinding power and senselessness of racism. For instance, “‘That's the so-called gun,’ Ms. Ofrah explains. ‘Officer Cruise claims he saw it in the car door, and he assumed Khalil was reaching for it. The handle was thick enough, black enough, for him to assume it was a gun.’ ‘And Khalil was black enough,’ Daddy adds, ‘A hairbrush. Khalil died over a f******* hairbrush.,” (Thomas, 217). Officer Cruise made an assumption not simply because the appearance of the hairbrush looked similar to a gun from an angle, but also because Khalil was “black enough” to have been carrying one. Racist assumptions about the wrongdoing of black youth contributed to Cruise seeing a weapon when there was none. It symbolizes the distrust police officers have for certain minorities. The role of a police officer grants them more superiority, which they, however, failed to do their duty and had abused their rights of claiming that title. The fact that an object meant for grooming had contributed to Khalil’s death, further suggests that black individuals can do everything to obey to societal expectations and still be targeted simply because of the color of their skin.  

Likewise, Tupac’s concept of ‘Thug Life’ indicates an important motive in the novel and the source of the book’s title. His acronym explains the recurrent nature of poverty and crime that occurs due to hatred based on a racist social system. Starr and Khalil discuss the acronym shortly before Khalil’s death. The grief, confusion, anger, and fear Starr felt from the event, caused her to turn back to the final conversation Starr and Khalil had with her father; coming to the conclusion that she can no longer remain silent about the shooting. In particular, “But Ms. Ofrah said this interview is the way I fight. When you fight, you put yourself out there, not caring who you hurt or if you’ll get hurt. So I throw one more blow, right at One-Fifteen. ‘I’d ask him if he wished he shot me too.’”  (Thomas 290) Starr’s broadcast interview is a vital moment in her transformation from enduring her silence and guilt to speak up to Khalil, to leading the protests against his death in the streets of Garden Heights. Starr doesn’t accept violent techniques, such as rioting and ransacking, although she understands the anger such violence stems from. Instead, as Ms. Ofrah points out, the most effective weapon Starr has in fighting injustice will be her voice. Starr uses the public platform she never wanted or expected to have to speak up not just for Khalil, but for African Americans everywhere. The acronym serves a symbolic of the struggles that the black race faces, emphasizing the issues in Starr’s life.

Despite the racist, social system, Black Jesus highlights the symbol of the strength of African Americans in the face of oppression. In correlation to strength, “Starr often refers to Jesus as “Black Jesus,” an ethnic form she was raised with that, nonetheless, doesn’t seem to change her perspective on who Jesus is. People notice Starr and her family praying together and attending church, her parents teaching her to “keep doing right” no matter what, and her parents and neighbors giving God credit for good things that have happened, like the great changes in her father’s life.” (Thomas 66) This corresponds to why her dad devoted white-dominated Christianity by making Jesus black and lead his family into a prayer every morning. With a daily prayer, ignoring the white supremacy and ordeal, Starr’s family grows stronger. Because Maverick does not approve of eating pork, which is a Muslim practice, the Carters frequently turn to Black Jesus for guidance whilst feeling pride for the strength of numerous black individuals, Black Jesus can indicate a symbolic of the blended religion in Starr’s family.

Angie Thomas involved many different kinds of symbols into her novel to indicate how two completely different worlds: the underprivileged and wealthy, perceive each other. These two incompatible worlds could be greatly affected and joined together if they would just take the time to connect with each other in ways not many people have tried. The stereotypes and racism to which African Americans are subjected are revealed to be extremely common and harmful, even bringing about the death of innocent young African Americans. By dealing directly with the issues of police brutality and protest, the book enters the broader conversation about race relations in America. Starr’s identity is heavily developed by her race, and Khalil's death is due in part to tyranny in the police force. Not only did the novel show Starr’s character development, but also how Starr made a promise to Khalil’s memory: she will raise her voice, and will continue fighting against injustice.

This piece is based on the novel, ‘The Hate You Give.’