Simon's Victims | Teen Ink

Simon's Victims

By IFilms BRONZE, Houston, Texas
IFilms BRONZE, Houston, Texas

“Do something original. Surprise me when you when you take out a bunch of lemming a**holes(Pg 314)”. Simon was obsessed with the thought of being the center of everything. But when he got depressed, he came up with the crazy idea of taking down people along with himself. Not by a school shooting though, but in a creative way. He did just that, and now I am looking into the text to see why chose the following people to be his victims.

First, Bronwyn. Bronwyn and Leah told Simon the wrong told simon the wrong deadline for the Model UN finals, which lead to him turning it in late.This is the main reason Bronwyn was chosen to be a victim. Just to mention it Leah was “punished” for this too. It was just earlier in the timeline of the books universe. Also an exact quote from the book for proof: ‘“He thought she’d screwed him out of going to the Model UN finals”’ (Pg 323).

‘“Cooper got simon blacklisted from Vanessa’s after-prom party”’. This caused Simon to chose Cooper as one of the victims. He was embarrassed by this. Embarrassed by the fact ‘“that he was not only not invited, but actually not even allowed to go”’. Simon already disliked cooper for “taking his best friend”. This put him over the edge.

‘“He already knew about you and TJ...So he used it to shut jake up and bring him in”’(Pg 324). Simon didn’t have a reason to dislike Addy. The reason Addy became a victim was because Simon needed Jake to help Execute his plan. Jake had heard Simon say something embarrassing. For that reason he used the Addy and TJ thing to Keep Jake quiet and bring him in.

Crazy or not Simon executed his plan. It worked great for a while, but in the end it just fell apart. The characters lives were changed. In some ways better. In some ways worse. Most readers believe though, Simon regretted everything.

This is a Literary analisys on the book "One of us is lying"