The Life of a Teen boy | Teen Ink

The Life of a Teen boy

By ashantyGarcia BRONZE, Houston, Texas
ashantyGarcia BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Jason Reynolds takes us through his book The Boy in the Black Suit, in the perspective of 16-year-old Matt. The author shows how Matthew Miller is faced with burden after burden while trying to overcome them and reminding himself he is still a teenage boy. Jason Reynolds highlights the struggles of Matt’s life in an attempt to demonstrate how Matt matures throughout his journey. By correlating the development of the character with the theme, Reynolds emphasizes the idea of embracing these encumbrances.

Initially, the reader witnesses the agony Matt faces over his mother's death. As Matt says on page four, “...No time for extra silliness... That's how I felt. Like all of a sudden, I was too old for high school.” Matt’s mother's death is his first encounter with a tragedy to this extent. Immediately, it seemed that his personality shifts from what seems to be easy going and lighthearted, to sorrowful. Admitting that school is no longer important is Reynolds’ way of portraying this. We see as Matt realizes his whole world has just changed and he has no control over it.

By taking a job at the funeral home, Matt learns his Mother’s accident was ordinary.  Watching others breakdown made Matt feel as if he was real. “I sat in class and replayed in my mind, over and over, that watery look in her eyes, the weird thought of her face fighting itself to smile, and the satisfaction I got watching it all go down.” (Reynolds 57). These methods might seem extensive but were the only suitable way Matt found to cope. The author includes Matt’s job in the book because it allows Matt to handle his emotions.

Just as Matt’s wound begins to mend, the author throws in another onerous situation. “Not again, God. God not again”. It is very clear how Matt feels. It’s as if all the progress Matt just made dealing with his mother completely shattered. “He could have died. Only a month after my mom...I still felt so alone” (Reynolds 93). Having to deal with two catastrophic events within such a short period of time reminds Matt he has no control over his life. Just as Reynolds intended, making it clear to both the reader and Matt that certain things are inevitable. At first glance, it would seem as if this is what the author is trying to convey.

As if it was not enough, Matt learns that he has a connection to the darkest thing of his brightest thing. Near the end of the book, when all conflict seems to finally be resolved, in great part because of Lovey, Matt realizes he witnessed the death of Lovey’s mother. “The only way I was going to be able to tell Lovey what I needed to tell her is if I could get some fresh air...Lovey was nervous about what I had to say, but she was doing her best not to press me about it.” (Reynolds 224). Matt has to quickly learn how to deal with this due to Loveys pleading eyes. He no longer has time to recover or grieve but must take quick action, what the author has been preparing Matt for. Most failed to realize at the beginning of the story that there is more to the theme of the book. Not only has the author been teaching Matt life lessons, but developing his character along the way. These situations have been put in front of him to make him stronger and learn how to deal with such complications in the future.

Matt developed a strong character  due to the hardships he endured time and time again. He grew tremendously due to these hardships. This is evident due to Reynolds link between the theme and character.  Whatever it is life puts in front of us, righteousness or unfortunate, it is best to figure out why it was put there in the first place.