Literary Analysis: The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora | Teen Ink

Literary Analysis: The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora

The novel called The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora written by Pablo Cartaya is based on a 14-year-old boy who desperately and exasperatedly tries to save his restaurant from future inhalation whilst wooing an old friend he suddenly fastened feelings for. Arturo spends a lot of time in the book trying to decipher how, what, and why he’s experiencing this unusual fondness towards Carmen during the period of La Cocina’s near demise. Therefore, Arturo possessed the ability to help and save the restaurant and express his feelings to Carmen by the simple and overused cliche storyline of a protagonist as well as poor narrative.

The first example is Carmen drawing near to Arturo suddenly because of a kiss that increased their special bond together. The time and place of the kiss make this an example of substandard plot development, “She didn’t like me. Not in that way at least. I could tell.” (Cartaya 144 ) Arturo is initially inferring that Carmen doesn’t feel the same way about him after telling her he likes her, and he’s unfortunately correct. Also, “...before I could tell her I hoped we could still be friends, Carmen reached over and kissed me.” (Cartaya 218) Carmen had shown no connection to Arturo in that type of way when he first told her he liked her, but in an extremely crucial moment in the book when the final verdict is commencing for the lot pick, she kisses him out of nowhere as a result of below mediocre plot development. Then, even after this, weeks go by and the reader gets no further information on the two’s love relationship that’s very electrifying.

Secondly, the book skips over certain parts that would seem interesting to know. All of the hooking moments in the story are least explained and vaguely brought into detail. “A few weeks after the vote...there were only a few weeks left before Carmen and her dad had to go back to Spain (Cartaya 233).”The author didn’t fully realize what his captivating and enticing moments were in the book which caused less intelligent ideas or reasons behind certain characters decisions and thoughts.

Finally, Arturo’s and other character's motivation in saving the restaurant and other personal ideals related to the storyline. “I was going to save the restaurant and, I decided, I was going to tell Carmen how I really felt about her (Cartaya 132). Arturo’s pure desire and will power propelled him to get what he wanted, but because of a cliche plot and neglected pieces in the story, the truly deep understanding and background of his purpose never really came to fruition.

In conclusion, the abstract and deficient narrative added with the simple and overused cliche protagonist type plot, Arturo saved the restaurant and got the girl. Examples of this include Carmen and Arturo’s puzzling and sudden relationship, the rocky and inconsistent inclusion of the most interesting parts of the book, and characters that had slim motivation for their actions, thoughts, and words. This story can reach an audience who isn’t looking for a complex read that can take the reader on an illustrious and intensifying journey through the vortex of possibilities found in a plot and it’s development.  

I am a young writer who is finding himself in literature and his inspirations.