Syrian Refugees Crisis | Teen Ink

Syrian Refugees Crisis

February 4, 2020
By 25hernandez7902 BRONZE, Monterrey, Other
25hernandez7902 BRONZE, Monterrey, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Today there are 244 million immigrants worldwide and 25.9 million refugees. This are 2 great issues that humanity is facing but there are slightly different. Immigrants choose to leave their country and refugees are forced to leave their country, both for circumstances like economic and political issues, and natural disasters, however, there are still other reasons that these 2 issues don’t have in common. Refugees are forced to move because of war or civil war and human rights violations. On the other hand, immigrants also leave their country because they want to reunite with their families and have better opportunities, but they don’t have the papers to illegally be there. I am studying Syria Refugees, because I want to find out what started people in Syria are fleeing to other places, and whether it has been easier and more challenging, in order to help my reader understand why the refugee crisis is happening in Syria and to understand what the refugees are going through. 


For a start, the Syrian War has caused families to suffer greatly and it has demolished the country. According to World Vision, “Since the Syrian civil war officially began March 15, 2011, families have suffered under a brutal conflict that has killed hundreds of thousands of people, torn the nation apart, and set back the standard of living by decades. Nearly 12 million people in the country need humanitarian assistance.”  The Syrian Civil War officially started March 15, 2011, and it has caused many destructions in the country, millions of people are suffering and need humanitarian assistance and thousands of people have been killed. Syrians are goings through though times since 2011. They’ve seen their country destroyed in front of their eyes and how slowly family starts fading away until you can’t find them. The situation these people are going through it’s just harsh, fleeing to other countries to find what they deserve is very challenging. 


Eventually, the Civil War in Syria has led many refugees to search for direct assistance.  BBC News explains some effects from the war, “A large share of Syrian refugees in Jordan are not in camps and have fled into urban areas, beyond the reach of direct assistance from the UN and other donors.” In other words, refugees that fled to Jordan didn’t go to camps, they went to search for direct assistance from the UN and other doners. This shows how Syrians are in need of help and how their situation is really hard and they really need support from other people, organizations and the UN. For us, we can easily go to a doctor or to the pharmacy to get medicine and a prescription, but for them, they have to cross the ocean or take very long trails to find basic humanitarian assistance. We need a doctor if we have the flu, but for them, having a doctor is saving their lives, from being very hurt and sick and for a little bit of rest. We are so lucky that we have what we need in reach, so that’s why I strongly believe we need to send them help, donate to organizations so that Syrians can receive what they need. 


  As a final point, the Syrian War has affected children in many ways. It has separated them from their families, lost years of education, losing many opportunities and has had an effect on their future.  Save the Children States, “Many Syrian children have lost a close relative or have a parent or sibling, and thousands have been orphaned or separated from their families in the chaos of war. Many have missed years of education, with 2.1 million children in Syria currently out of school. The conflict has devastated the lives of a generation of young people.” Syrian children have lost a close relative or a family member, and thousands of these children have become orphans or separated from their loved ones during the war. About 2.1 million children have been out of school for years. It is shocking how this war has made the biggest impact on children. Their futures have been ruin from a conflict they didn’t cause and don’t have the power to do something about it. The daily life of Syrian kids is so much different from ours. They leave in fear and worry while we have everything we need and want. Syrian children are the most optimistic children I’ve seen, they have so much hope for their future and that soon, this war will come to an end. These children are the bravest in so many ways, just going through a war without a family is huge, plus all the situations they have to survive. I believe that we should learn from them, support them and be thankful for everything we have, most importantly that we are safe and that we have a loving family. 


To conclude, studying about Syria Refugees has helped me understand why Syrians are fleeing to other countries, whether it has been easier and more challenging for them and understanding what the refugees are going through. The civil war happening in Syria has impacted many people in different ways. Millions of people have been hurt and thousands have been killed. Many children are separated from their families, with lost years from education and opportunities to build their future and refugees are in a lot of need of assistance that they search for direct help from the UN and other doners. Learning about this issue has helped me be more understanding and empathetic. Learning about the experiences of Syrians has given me the chance to see how lucky and fortunate I am to live in a safe country, with education, opportunities and family and friends by my side. The civil war in Syria helps us understand more about our world, how it is changing and how people need a lot of help. I believe that if every one of us can donate to organizations and spread awareness a lot of people can be saved, and many people can have the opportunity to live again with the peace that they deserve. Researching about the Syrian civil war has helped me understand more than just the issue and the causes it. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Works Cited


“Causes and Impacts Relating to Forced and Voluntary Migration - Revision 4 - Higher   

     Geography - BBC Bitesize.” BBC News, BBC,  

     www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z8g334j/revision/4.  Accessed January 20


Staff, World Vision. “Syrian Refugee Crisis: Facts, FAQs, and How to Help.” World Vision,  

     2 Jan. 2020, www.worldvision.org/refugees-news-stories/syrian-refugee-crisis-facts.  

     Accessed January 20 


“Surviving Syria: 360º.” YouTube, World Vision, 15 Nov. 2016, youtu.be/S0u7D7r4iGI.  

     Accessed January 21


“Syrian Civil War Fast Facts.” CNN, Cable News Network, 11 Oct. 2019, 

     edition.cnn.com/2013/08/27/world/meast/syria-civil-war-fast-facts/index.html.  Accessed 

     January 21


“Syrian Refugee Children Stories: Life as a Refugee.” Save the Children,                   

www.savethechildren.org/us/what-we-do/emergency-response/refugee-children-crisis/refugee-stories.  Accessed January 21