Printed Books vs. Digital Books | Teen Ink

Printed Books vs. Digital Books

wOver the years, digital books have started to become popular, but especially throughout the coronavirus pandemic. Everything had been shut down. Many, if not all, schools had to go online and be remote. Many students had no access to libraries or printed books. They often had to resort to digital or online books, but did it really benefit their education, or did it hinder it? Many students should read printed books rather than digital or e-books because it helps them absorb more information, is easier on their eyes, helps construct better memory retention, and enhances the ability to focus. (Davis, Ben) 

The first benefit of reading a printed book is that it helps one absorb more information. In 2016, an experiment was performed. The study was on whether reading educational paragraphs and answering questions was better on a digital device or on a printed piece of paper. The results showed that students uniformly knew the main purpose of the text. Although when it came to more detailed information and points, those who read off the printed piece of paper had more of an advantage (Wallis, Claudia). Another study done in 2017 established that those who read from digital devices reading comprehension went down. As we read information, no matter what it may be, our brains portray this map of where information is on the page and approximately what page it could be on, which has helped us understand and absorb more information (Benson, Kerry). Both these studies show that students comprehend more information when they read and even answer questions from a printed book or printed piece of paper. 

As schools start to implement tablets and computers more in their educational system, specifically in reading textbooks, it is shown that it causes students to have more damage to their eyes. This leads us to our second benefit of printed books, that it is easier on the students' eyes. A survey about the impact of screen reading on children was performed. The outcome showed that reading from a screen can bring on poor eyesight and establish nearsightedness (“Research Progress about the Effect and Prevention of Blue Light on Eyes”). Using electronic devices can also lead to CVS, Computer Vision Symptom, which consists of blurred vision as well as double vision. This happens when one stares at a screen for a period of time. The brightness of an electronic screen is a damaging factor in this, because your eyes are persistently having to refocus causing harmful strain on your eyes (Nelson, Lucy). The blue light can also specifically cause damage to your eyes. Blue light is a section of the visible light spectrum. Blue light has the shortest wavelength but some of the highest energy levels. The eye can not block the blue light coming through the front of the eye, which is the cornea and lens. It will then extend to the retina causing retina cell damage and eyesight difficulties (Null). 

The third reason why you should read a printed book is because it helps with memory retention. A study was conducted where they had a group of individuals read a story. They were exactly the same except that one was on a Kindle and the other was printed on a piece of paper. The people using the Kindle needed to press a button to move on to the next page; well, the others just needed to turn the page. The results showed that the ones who read the printed book were able to comprehend and remember the order in which the story was told. Mayo Clinic also wrote an article about how they encourage patients with MCI, Mild Cognitive Impairment, to help with the memory plan. They advised that the best plan is with paper and pencil.They have many purposes of why they recommend this. The first is that it helps patients remember information in the beginning. The second, assisting patients by being able to salvage that information for a different period of time. The research Mayo Clinic uses to back this up is from a study done in early 2021. The study was focused on where patients ranging from young adults to the elderly, with MCI were able to recover information using three different techniques: a physical paper calendar, a smartphone, and a tablet. While the patients were trying to retrieve the information, those conducting the study also tracked brain activity in specific areas of the brain. The data showed that those who used the paper calendar were able to remember the information in a remarkably shorter amount of time than those who used the smartphone and tablet techniques. As the information becomes more elaborate, the more the group's results become alike. This shows that even those with MCI are able to absorb more information and have enhanced memory retention when they use paper devices instead or technological ones (“Memory Retrieval Using Paper vs. Technology'').Research proposes that we can reconcile more when one is able to use several senses (Benson,Kerry). 

For some it is the nostalgic senses. The ability to feel the paper, hear the pages turn, and see the words in the book. This helps with the ability to focus as well. People often associate time on a digital device as a time of casual scrolling through social media and other apps on the device. That is why reading a printed book is more beneficial. It allows you to take the time to read and understand what the book is trying to portray. It allows you to do this without distractions and inconveniences.

As our generation is widely consumed in technology, it has become a daily part of our lives. That is why it would be best beneficial for as much as possible to allow and keep our students learning from textbooks and printed books instead of digital devices. It helps students absorb more information, it is easier on the eyes, it builds memory retention, and increases the ability to focus. When considering how to read, think through the benefits of a printed book rather than a digital book.

Works Cited

Davis, Ben. “What Are the Advantages of Printed Books? – MVOrganizing.” What Are the Advantages of Printed Books? – MVOrganizing, 30 Apr. 2021, www.mvorganizing.org/what-are-the-advantages-of-printed-books/#Which_is_better_ebook_or_printed_book.

Wallis, Claudia. “A Textbook Dilemma: Digital or Paper?” The Hechinger Report, 8 Apr. 2021, hechingerreport.org/textbook-dilemma-digital-paper.

Benson, Kerry. “Reading on Paper Versus Screens: What’s the Difference?” Reading on Paper Versus Screens: What’s the Difference?, 28 July 2020, www.brainfacts.org/neuroscience-in-society/tech-and-the-brain/2020/reading-on-paper-versus-screens-whats-the-difference-072820.

“Research Progress about the Effect and Prevention of Blue Light on Eyes.” International Journal of Ophthalmology, 2018. Crossref, doi:10.18240/ijo.2018.12.20.

Nelson, Lucy. “HOW DOES READING ON A SCREEN IMPACT YOUR EYES? - LondonOC.” London Ophthalmology Centre - Outstanding Eye Care, 3 Feb. 2021, londonoc.co.uk/how-does-reading-on-a-screen-impact-your-eyes.

“Memory Retrieval Using Paper vs. Technology.” Mayo Clinic Connect, 2021, connect.mayoclinic.org/blog/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed-post/memory-retrieval-using-paper-vs-technology.

Null. “Is Blue Light from Your Cell Phone, TV Bad for Your Health?” Copyright UC Regents. For More Information Regarding the University of California’s Copyright Terms, Visit Ucop.Edu/Services/Terms.Html, 5 Sept. 2019, health.ucdavis.edu/health-news/newsroom/is-blue-light-from-your-cell-phone-tv-bad-for-your-health/2019/05.

I am a senior at Bay City Christian School. I don't like writing or grammer in general. Although I did learn a lot from writing this paper.