Should the U.S Take More Aggressive Steps to Combat Climate Change | Teen Ink

Should the U.S Take More Aggressive Steps to Combat Climate Change

May 30, 2022
By Louiseansell072909 BRONZE, Nairobi, Alabama
Louiseansell072909 BRONZE, Nairobi, Alabama
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I could bore you with the facts. I could line up evidence you’ve heard from credible sites, but you already know all of that. Our planet is dying. A fact I’m sure you hear almost every day. The United States is the second-biggest producer of CO2 in the world. The U.S also happens to be one of the countries in the world for new ideas and innovation. Then why hasn’t more been done to combat climate change, and should the U.S do more to fight it?
Why should the U.S do more to combat climate change? The prices of wind turbines, solar panels, and lithium batteries have dropped incredibly recently. New companies entering the market gain income and provide jobs for millions of people, especially in remote areas. And as of 2019, clean energy jobs employed 3.5 million Americans. There are numerous reasons why the U.S should take more aggressive steps to combat climate change; however, are there some unforeseen cons to switching to clean energy?
Why shouldn’t the U.S do more to combat climate change? While new jobs could be created, the fossil fuel industry would collapse. More than 10 million Americans would lose their jobs and the mass poverty that could be experienced. New market players hoping to compete in the energy industry face one significant barrier. The fossil fuel industry. If these clean energy businesses wish to succeed, they must demonstrate scale. Without proper funding and investment, this is astonishingly hard to achieve. Taking more aggressive steps to combat climate change could have profound implications that rarely seem to be discussed.
I think the U.S should take more aggressive steps to combat climate change. Suppose the switch to clean energy is done right. It could boost the American economy more than previously seen before. It could provide job opportunities to people living in rural areas and potentially life-changing for millions of individuals. Daunting the reasoning against taking more steps to combat climate change may be. I still think that global warming poses too much of a threat not to make an effort to combat it.
The advantages and disadvantages of switching to clean energy are numerous. If done correctly, it could provide millions of jobs to people living in rural areas and improve the economy by a tenfold. However, It could cause mass poverty if done wrong, and the economy could collapse. It is a risky move, but if done right could inspire other leading countries to follow in its footsteps and potentially save the planet from global warming.