Impact of Notetaking by TYPING vs Notetaking by HANDWRITING on memory | Teen Ink

Impact of Notetaking by TYPING vs Notetaking by HANDWRITING on memory

By reneyous BRONZE, Shanghai, Other
reneyous BRONZE, Shanghai, Other

Note-taking is a useful external memory device in today’s world. But with the popularization of electronic devices, more and more people choose to use different methods take notes. Personally, I use both typing and handwritten notes, and I wonder which of these two ways of taking notes is more efficient to help us learn.

So this leave to the topic: impact of note-taking by TYPING vs note-taking by HANDWRITING on memory.

In 1974, a largest-ever studies on student note-taking. In their study, the researchers expressed concern over modern technology impacting the note-taking habits of students. (Palmatier, R. A., & Bennett, J. M., 1974). However, it didn't provide a specific result, so let's focus on literature that gives more specific results.

First, let's see how these two types of note-taking influence short-term memory.

1.Bui, D.C., Myerson, J., & Hale, S.S., 2013

Research's Purpose:Compare taking notes by hand with taking notes using a computer in terms of their effects on test performance.

Research's Hypothesis:Students may benefit from transcribing using a computer.

Research Method:In Experiment 1, participants were instructed either to take organized lecture notes or to try and transcribe the lecture, and they either took their notes by hand or typed them into a computer. Those instructed to transcribe the lecture using a computer showed the best recall on immediate tests, and the subsequent experiments focused on note-taking using computers.

Research Conclusion:Taken together, our findings suggest that transcribing using a computer can lead to superior immediate recall.

Second, let's see how these two types of note-taking influence short-term memory.

2.Schoen, I. 2012

Research's Purpose: The purpose of the study was to investigate the impact of note-taking method (handwriting vs. typing) and note-taking context (lecture vs. textbook) on retention of information among college students.

Research's Hypothesis: The hypothesis was that typing notes would lead to higher retention scores compared to handwriting notes, and that the context of note-taking (lecture vs. textbook) would also influence retention, with typing being more advantageous in a lecture context.

Research Methods: The researchers assigned college students from Pitzer College and Scripps College to either handwrite or type notes on academic material presented in either a lecture or textbook context. After note-taking, participants were given a test to assess their retention. The researchers then analyzed the data to determine the effects of note-taking method and context on retention.

Research Conclusion: The results of the study showed a significant main effect for typing notes, indicating that typing led to higher retention scores compared to handwriting. Additionally, there was an interaction between note-taking method and context, with the lowest retention scores observed when participants handwrote notes during a lecture. Therefore, the conclusion drawn was that typing as a method of note-taking may be more beneficial for memory retention, particularly in a lecture context.

3.Sayo, A. L. 2014

Research's Purpose: The purpose of the experiment is to investigate the impact of using a computer keyboard versus handwriting on memory retention of copied texts, given the increasing use of technology in classrooms.

Research's Hypothesis: typing text on a computer keyboard might lead to better memory retention compared to handwriting due to potential differences in motor conditions.

Research Methods: 67 college students participated in the experiment. They were asked to copy both a list of words and a passage of text using either handwriting or a computer keyboard. Participants were divided into four groups, with two groups handwriting the list and typing the passage, and vice versa. After 40 to 54 hours, participants were tested on their recall of the copied information and answered multiple-choice questions. Kinematic data were collected using a digitizer tablet and electronic inking pen.

Research Conclusion: in time-constrained situations, typing is more effective for memorizing notes than handwriting, regardless of whether it involves individual words or passages of text.

Above all, it leads to conclusion that taking notes by typing results in better memory, including short term memory and long term memory than hand notes. However, since these experiments were conducted a while ago, we may consider conducting further research on this topic in the future.

[1] Bui, D.C., Myerson, J., & Hale, S.S. (2013). Note-taking with computers: Exploring alternative strategies for improved recall. Journal of Educational Psychology, 105, 299-309.

[2] Palmatier, R. A., & Bennett, J. M. (1974). Notetaking Habits of College Students. Journal of Reading, 18(3), 215–218. jstor.org/stable/40009958

[3] Sayo, A. L. (2014). A Comparison on the Effects of Handwriting and Typing on Remembering Copied Texts.

[4] Schoen, I. (2012). Effects of method and context of note-taking on memory: handwriting versus typing in lecture and textbook-reading contexts.

A further discussion of this article will be posted in my work. And if you want to read more articles about psychology, please visit my homepage!😺😼