What is ESG and why should you invest in it? | Teen Ink

What is ESG and why should you invest in it?

By prishaashrimali GOLD, Edgewater, New Jersey
prishaashrimali GOLD, Edgewater, New Jersey

What is ESG?

ESG (i.e. Environmental, Social, Governance) is a framework utilized by companies to measure their sustainability efforts. It delves deep into the essence of businesses, evaluating their environmental initiatives, social responsibilities, and governance structures. This comprehensive approach acknowledges that a company's impact extends far beyond its financial reports.

Companies across the globe are embracing ESG in diverse ways. Some concentrate on reducing carbon footprints and advocating for clean energy, while others prioritize ethical labor practices and community engagement. This array of strategies mirrors the intricate nature of ESG itself, customized to fit each company's distinctive footprint and societal context.

How ESG is Measured & How Investors View ESG

Measuring ESG performance involves a meticulous evaluation process that relies on an extensive array of metrics. Carbon emissions, a critical component, highlight a company's environmental impact. Businesses are scrutinized not only for their current emissions but also for their strategies to mitigate and offset these emissions. Diversity initiatives assess the inclusivity of a company's workforce, promoting equality across gender, race, and other demographics. Ethical supply chains delve into a company's sourcing practices, ensuring that products are created without exploiting labor or harming local communities. Board governance, a cornerstone of ESG evaluation, examines the transparency and accountability of a company's leadership. This multifaceted assessment provides investors with concrete data points, enabling them to gauge a company's ethical standing and sustainability efforts accurately. These metrics offer tangible, measurable insights that empower investors to align their portfolios with their values while contributing to a more responsible and sustainable business ecosystem.

Unlike profit figures, comparing ESG performance among companies or assessing changes within a company over time proves challenging. However, utilizing ESG measurement tools enhances transparency and understanding of a company's ESG performance. Specialized rating agencies such as MSCI, FTSE, ISS, and Sustainalytics collect data to evaluate ethical practices and provide ratings. ESG indexes track companies meeting specific ESG criteria, aiding investors in making informed decisions. ESG audits by third-party agencies ensure unbiased assessments. Additionally, ESG questionnaires, surveys, and software platforms offer comprehensive evaluations, guiding investors toward ethical and sustainable investment options.

Investors typically employ three approaches to compare ESG ratings. Firstly, they compare ratings with peers managing similar portfolios, ensuring a relative evaluation. Secondly, a standard industry benchmark index is used, providing a broader market perspective. Thirdly, investors rely on their own historical and internal data, enabling a tailored assessment. However, comparing ESG performance is intricate due to significant variations in ratings across industries, companies, and metrics.

The significance of ESG performance is underscored by data showing that a majority of consumers, business leaders, and employees prioritize ESG best practices. Moreover, younger consumers weigh ESG issues considerably when making purchasing decisions, emphasizing the practical implications of ESG considerations beyond personal opinions. Investors are aligning with these trends, evident in the doubling of assets under management in ESG funds between 2017 and 2020. This shift is observable in both passive and activist funds, indicating a market-wide recognition of the impact of ESG on sales and capital-raising abilities.

This multifaceted approach employs quantitative and qualitative indicators customized for each industry. Industry-specific frameworks like the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) or Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guide the identification of relevant metrics. Data from various sources, including financial reports and supplier information, is gathered and analyzed, offering insights into trends, strengths, and weaknesses. Transparent reporting to stakeholders and the public, along with strategic planning based on identified weaknesses, completes the process, emphasizing the practicality and actionability of ESG measurement.

How can companies implement ESG practices?

To integrate ESG factors effectively, a balanced approach that focuses on specifics while considering the broader context is essential. This "zoom in, zoom out" strategy ensures attention to concentration, tracking errors, risk, underlying processes, and bigger-picture strategies and opportunities. Furthermore, having a reliable and consistent data source for ESG benchmarks is critical, ensuring accurate, trustworthy, and transparent information for investors.

Several companies are setting exemplary benchmarks in ESG. Industry giants like Apple, renowned for its renewable energy endeavors, and Microsoft, committed to carbon negativity, embody corporate responsibility. These companies not only meet ESG standards but actively contribute to shaping them, leading the path for others to follow.

In the dynamic ESG landscape, startups are emerging as catalysts for change. Companies like Clarity AI and Tomorrow are disrupting traditional investment models. Clarity AI employs advanced analytics to assess ESG factors, empowering investors with data-driven insights. Tomorrow focuses on sustainable banking, aligning financial services with eco-conscious values, ushering in a new era of ethical finance.

How valuable is ESG?

Amidst global challenges such as climate change and social disparities, investing in ESG isn't merely a choice; it's a responsibility. The urgency of our environmental crisis demands immediate action. ESG investing transcends financial strategies; it embodies a collective commitment to a sustainable future. By directing investments into companies prioritizing the planet, people, and ethical governance, individuals actively shape a world where profit harmonizes with social and environmental well-being.

ESG represents more than a trend; it signifies a transformative power reshaping the investment landscape. As companies integrate ESG principles into their core values, investors possess the ability to guide the world towards a future where economic prosperity aligns seamlessly with environmental preservation and social justice. Every investment choice made today weaves into the fabric of a more sustainable tomorrow.

Ever since learning about the Sustainable Development Goals in middle school, I have been working on building my knowledge on sustainable development and participating in several advocacy efforts to raise awareness and stir action. Recently, I've been exploring the field of ESG (environmental, social, and governance) and the role companies can play in the Green Revolution. The only way we as a race of humans can move forward and make climate action progress is by monitoring all of our actions (including investments) and making sure that they comply with the environmental and social standards of the century. I hope this article serves its purpose as an informative piece sharing the need for ESG to be taken into account when considering investing in a company.