Courtyard Shutdown Causes Tardiness | Teen Ink

Courtyard Shutdown Causes Tardiness

By washkayl BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
washkayl BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin

Today during school hours, the courtyard was closed. The courtyard is a helpful outside pathway students use as a shortcut to get to class. The courtyard was most likely closed due to the weather being a bit chilly.

At middle school one rule students need to follow is, don’t be late to class. This rule can be hard to maintain since students are often rushing from one side of the school to the other to get to class. Students use the courtyard to get to class on time and avoid the embarrassment of showing up late and getting in trouble in front of their classmates. As you walk through the halls you can hear many students complaining about this situation, “Aw man the courtyards closed, I’m definitely going to be late to class!”

One way the school could help students be on time is to keep the courtyard open more often than it is now. The courtyard is usually closed due to many reasons such as; the lawn being cut, snow, rain, or it is chilly outside. Many students believe that the courtyard should be kept open during chilly weather because they believe that they can make their own choices like if they want to walk through chilly air for a few seconds or be late to class.