Theseus and the Labyrinth | Teen Ink

Theseus and the Labyrinth

By bsumantb BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
bsumantb BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey

Most of you have heard the name Daedalus before. You’ve likely heard it in a story, where Daedalus and his son are trapped and he builds pairs of wings to escape.

In Greek mythology, Daedalus is the same person who builds the Labyrinth. When he was under the command of the Cretan King, Minos, he was ordered to build a maze that could hold a monster, the Minotaur, without the possibility of escaping.

Before the Labyrinth was built, one of Minos’ sons, Androgeus, set sail to Athens for the Pan-Athenian games. Being skillful, he won most of the events outright, bringing about  the resentment of the Pallantides, who then assassinated him.

When King Minos heard of his son’s death, he ordered his fleet to set sail for Athens. The  Athenian King, Aegeus, did not know who the assassins were, and begged for mercy. King Minos agreed, and set one condition. Every seven years, the Athenians were to send seven of the most courageous youths and seven of the most beautiful maidens to Crete, and they were forced, helpless, into the Labyrinth.

Several years later, Theseus, the Athenian King’s son, was sent as part of this practice. When he arrived, King Minos’ daughter, Ariadne, fell in love with him. Since she wanted him to survive, she gave him a ball of string to help him find his way  back, out of the Labyrinth.

When forced into the Labyrinth, Theseus hid his sword and string before going  in. Deep inside the Labyrinth, he found the Minotaur. Theseus wrestled with the brutal Minotaur, and after a tremendous fight, Theseus managed to overpower the beast and stab it with the sword, leaving the Labyrinth with no use. He then used Ariadne’s  string to leave the maze.

Admitting defeat, King Minos asked Theseus if he had a wish that he could be fulfill for him. Theseus asked for the hand of Minos’  daughter and the king grudgingly accepted. Together, Theseus and Ariadne, set sail for their new home.