Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

April 4, 2019
By anh11 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
anh11 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

High school math is a struggle for almost every single student—it’s no question. Next year’s content is more challenging than the last and there is always another theorem to memorize. For me, starting off this year as a senior, I was prepared to take on a higher level math class. However, I feared being a senior would impact my performance, especially first hour math.

I had never had Mr. Hessler, nor, honestly, heard his name. I was about to dive head first into his class with no idea what sort of environment his classroom would provide. But, on the first day of senior year, I had a feeling it would not be a good one.

At 7:30 in the morning, I lunged into room 185 with that “first day of school” spirit. I pulled out my color coordinated pen case, bright pink notebook, and prepared to start again. But, as soon as that bell rang and everyone took their seats, my heart flipped.  Mr. Hessler introduced himself and the class as my eyes widened. He described the course as “difficult” and “not easy.” He told me and the other 20-some students in the room we would have to work hard to be successful. He said he was going to evaluate us like a college placement test would. All I could think was, I wanted this year to be a breeze. I don’t want to think about college placement yet. This would definitely be the most challenging math class I have ever taken.

I walked out after the first class feeling horrified. I’m never gonna pass. That night, I dreaded going to first hour the next morning. However, that feeling changed quickly.

The second day of pre-calc was better; Mr. Hessler showed us what kind of math class he taught—engaging, funny, and energetic. All things I never would have anticipated from a tall, long faced man wearing dress pants and a half-zip sweater.

His hands moved as fast as wind around the whiteboard and his mouth like lightning with explanations. He fed us recipes of math mixed with jokes and application. Just the right amount of ingredients to sweeten the sour taste of math.

By the end of the semester, I was comfortable with the material and prepared for the first semester final exam.

I full heartedly know I can give all the credit for my success to my best teacher, Mr. Hessler. He noticed when I needed help,  actively engaged my class, and made sure before I walked out of that room at 8:10, I could recite back exactly what I learned in class that morning.

I can confidently say when I take my college placement test in just two months, I will be fully prepared with the kind of questions to expect and content to know.

Thank you Mr. Hessler, for proving me wrong, and for being the math teacher that could break my senioritis.